Trip distances from place to place

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know the distances between places in miles and how long does it take to get from place to place? If not, is there a website to get directions and miles and how long it takes like mapquest for the USA? Here are the places that we are going to that I need this information:
San Jose to Arenal
Arenal to Playa Flamingo
Playa Flamingo to Monteverde
Monteverde to Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio to San Jose

Melissa
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Distances in miles are almost irrelevant in Costa Rica. A 45 mile trip could take one-hour or three hours depending on the roads. Based on my recollections here are some of the approximate travel times you asked about:
San Jose - Arenal 3-3.5 hours
Arenal - Playa Flamingo 3.5-4 hours
Playa Flamingo - Monteverde 4-4.5 hours

I've never been to Manuel Antonio, so I can't help you there.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 07:42 AM

Check on Discount Car Rental web site if you need a car rental.
My wife and i had a good experience with them. They gave us the best rates,not check on their web site rates, because they would give you a better one if you quote.
www.rentacardiscount.com
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Rbrazill nailed it - You really can't think in terms of miles, but rather need to think of time. For instance one time going 20 miles up the mountain to Monteverde took us 2 hours, doing the math - you can see this was very slow go.

Keep in mind that the roads are all narrow 2 lane roads, most likely very winding and bumpy. Plus there are lots and lots and lots of school zones and speed bumps. Plus the children walking to and from school and the animals and traffic and sometimes oxcarts. Just slow driving in general.

A good map is the Berndston & Berndtson - laminated version. Can be purchased at Barnes & Noble.

No there is not a website like MapQuest in CR. Each of your hotel/lodges will be able to provide good driving directions, some even posted on their websites. Certainly get detailed info from the rental car company before heading out to your first destination. And ask again, don't assume you understand, because that first leg getting through Alajuela can be quite confusing. Have a handy copy of the road sign meanings, found in your guidebook and/or phrasebook. Then from each lodge, precise directions to your next and so on.

By studying your B&B map along with the directions from your lodges - You should be fine.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 08:23 AM

http://www.1-costaricalink.com/distances.htm

http://www.hotelsantotomas.com/distance.htm