Search

Driving to Monteverde

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving to Monteverde

Since everyone talks about how difficult the roads are into Monteverde, we are hoping to get some directions or advice on a map before we hit the road. Specifically, we are staying at El Sapo Dorado. Any advice? We've emailed the hotel but haven't heard anything back.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 12:06 PM

Your rental car company should provide a map of the country when you pick up the car. When you get to Monteverde, just ask for the Sapo Dorado - its very well known and I'm sure people can point you in the right direction. Good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy the area, its beautiufl! Be sure to check out the hummingbird feeders.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 01:50 PM

If you're driving to Monteverde from San Jose, the roads aren't really all that bad. 'Washboard' gravel is how it was a while back. The road that gets so much bad press is the one from Arenal to Monteverde, specifically the last 25 kilometers or so from Tilaran. I was amazed at the potholes, but what really was amazing were the enormous rocks that jutted out of the road bed. Just waiting to rip out the undersie of some poor car. All that being said, we enjoyed every minute of that drive. Great views, just very slow going.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 12:43 PM

Don't rely on a map from the car rental company, bring a good road map with you. I had a Nat'l Geo map that was very good, I've seen other posts that recommend another map perhaps someone can give details on that.

For the roads to Monteverde, I don't know which way you're arriving from but they are not bad. I just do not know where this road is with the big rocks Jean mentions or I've heard others describe boulders. I've driven from Tilaran to Monteverde and from Monteverde to Alejuela (via Guacimal). The route from Tilaran is not bad, the road is narrower but only difficult for two trucks and/or busses passing. However there does seem to be more than one way according to the map for the Tilaran/Monteverde drive...perhaps its the other route everyone talks about. We took the high road for lack of a better description...high meaning more north on the map. The road from Monteverde to hwy #1 via Guacimal is wider and last 10 miles or so its paved. Neither route is anything difficult or scarey, its just an unmade road is all it is...so its slow going. Good luck and have a great trip.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 10:09 PM
koa

I seen a recent articel in AM costa rica that says the road into monteverde is slated to be paved. The businesses there seemed against it because of all the tourists that will flood the small community.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 12:22 AM

lorerts : If you search here, there was recently a post regarding the current paving of the roads around Monteverde. FYI.

While in CR, you can ask ANYbody for directions and they will help you out. Seriously. If you're not comfortable with Spanish, consider buying a phrasebook so that you can quickly communicate.

(I can't tell you how many people I encountered who thought that a Spanish-English dictionary would help them in a conversation. Maybe if the person USED to speak Spanish and needed an occasional word.)

Try emailing your hotel again + to another contact name, AND email to another nearby hotel if yours is unresponsive.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone. We're leaving tomorrow, so the roads won't be paved by then!