Traveling with Teenagers to CR

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This summer my mother (75), two teenagers (14 & 16) and the parents are thinking about taking an organized tour of Costa Rica though a respected company. The tour takes us to Mondeverde, Tilajari Resort, and Tortuga Lodge, Tortuguero. It's a family style trip but I also want to make sure my kids will be happy. I was hopeing this would be true as it is not a sightseeing trip but a nature adventure trip. My question is: Will the teenagers love this trip? No whitewater rafting as of yet because of the grandmother but maybe we can sneak off a day. Which location should we white water raft?
Thanks....
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:05 AM

I can't imagine why teenagers wouldn't enjoy the trip if they are at all interested in outdoor pursuits. There's ziplines, caving, poisonous frogs, beautiful plants and birds, as well as the rafting. Of course, if their activities at home focus on the mall and electronics, you may have more of a problem.

I always prepare kids with movies and books on the places we're going so when they get there, they understand things like why the cloud forests are important and why the places we go are significant. Guides who explain things to them also add to the trip. There's a good book on the environmental work being done at Monteverde. When we were there we met one of the scientist featured in the book. I get them involved in the research process so they have their input and they know what to expect.

I'd also make sure they travel with something like a deck of cards, string for cat's cradle, or a journal for writing so they idle away that time when you have to wait.

For the most part, the kids I've travelled with have been wonderful companions. I love their enthusiasm and energy.

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:55 AM

My son loves going to Costa Rica -- I don't see how anyone can get bored. At first he was worried that there wouldn't be a TV in the room, but he forgot about that quickly and then when we did have a TV he didn't even watch it. They like to stay busy w/ the action/adventure stuff, but there's plenty of it available. You're going to good places too. Taking kids to the AIs in Guanacaste might not work as well. Have a great time, and you might even get grandma out rafting! I've taken some older people w/ me and most of them end up getting very brave!

Sandy
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Any recomendations on where we should white water raft for one day considering the locations we are traveling to? Sounds like the right trip for all.
Thanks.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 06:23 PM

We haven't done any tours, but hopefully there will be some choice times. I think it's important that kids, especially teenagers, have some input in the planning process and on what to do (read in a hammock, stroll in the village, snorkel, hike) during "unscheduled" times.

We had a BLAST travelling in CA when our kids were in their teens - they loved everything we did but they also had some say in the planning process. For example - we fit rock climbing in for Isaac, fishing for Carlos (and my husband), handcraft lessons (weaving, slate carving, baskets) for Mariah, scuba diving for me and indigenous ruins and villages for all of us in every trip. Typically all of us choose to do all of them (some snorkel instead of dive) but everyone gets a chance to say, in the planning phase, something that they'd really like to experience in that country.

This summer in Honduras will be the first time we've rafted on a trip to CA. We do a lot of whitewater rafting here in Oregon so it hasn't been on anyone's wish list so far.

If your kids are fun to be with you will all have a blast - happy trails!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 01:36 AM

Does the organized tour include plenty of free time?

When I was a teenager going on a tour anywhere, even Costa Rica, with a bus load of old people would have been just about 'living hell'.

Why not go by yourselves? Organizing a trip to Costa Rica is simple. That way you would have a better chance to plan activities that various members of your group would enjoy.

Jerry