Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Costa Rica while Pregnant??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Kerry

My husband and I are thinking about taking a trip to Costa Rica in March. I'll be about 29 weeks pregnant then (about 6 1/2 months). We would be staying at the Marriott Resort in Playa Herradura, and we wouldn't be going off the beaten path too much, but of course we are a little concerned about "if" something were to happen while we are there. Does anyone know anything about the health care system in the region and their ability to treat pre-term pregnancy complications if the need were to arise? Any knowledge you could share, or recommendations about going or not going would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 03:12 PM
dan

I can't imagine why you would want to be away from your own country and your own health care providers at this stage!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Iza

Kerry, as much as I love Costa Rica, I just have to agree with Dan on this one. I definitely would not count on being able to get the care that you might need other than in San Jose. I think you should consider a "safer" destination for this trip.