Traveling during Rainyseason

Old Jun 25th, 2024, 01:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling during Rainyseason

Hello Adventurers!

I'm here with a question about our travels during the rainy season. The plan is to travel from half september till about half january though CA. We'll land at Panama first, and the plan was to go up to Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala and end in Belize.

Roughly initerary would be about 3 weeks each, maybe some days extra here and there, and the rest in Belize
Panama:19th - half oct
Costa Rica - Half Oct - beginning nov
Nicaragua - Beginning Nov - end of nov
Guatemala - December -
Belize - January

Now I read pretty much everywhere that especially Oct is a bad month to travel to CA, due to the high amount of rain. Now I'm just wondering if I should adapt my plans to this (maybe go to another country for a month/couple weeks?)
Yes there will be rain, and I don't mind a shower here and there, but continuous rain to drown our adventures would be sad ofcourse. So I'm just curious about experiences during that time!

Thanks in Advance!
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 05:24 AM

Hello,

We live in Belize and January is high season here - great weather, but that means more tourists (but nothing like Mexico).

Regarding the rainy season - it's more about it being Hurricane Season which is June through November. If there is any kind of tropical storm/depression, it will rain day & night for as long as the storm/depression is in the area. Some Central American countries have more history with hurricanes than others, so maybe you can do some research on that to see when the best time would be (or not be) in each country. And assuming there are inland areas that are higher elevations, that's usually a better place to be (but flooding could be an issue with storms that have heavy rainfall amounts.)

The good news is, that if there aren't any tropical storms in the area, it usually doesn't rain non-stop (at least in Belize). Maybe search online for "Rainy Season Belize" (substitute the country), to see what info is available. I would recommend looking for blogs, rather than weather sites as well.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by LuckyDreamerLodge; Jun 25th, 2024 at 05:29 AM.
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 05:27 AM

September and October can be quite rainy in Costa Rica especially in the southern portions. Here's a good map to predict general rainfall patterns. Just mouse over the areas you're interested in.

https://costa-rica-guide.com/travel/...-map-rainfall/