traveling alone in costa rica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am a 24 year old woman living in costa rica for 6 mo. studying spanish. i am looking for advice on good places to travel alone. shilmac, i think that is your name, maybe you will have ideas for me. i read your advice about la carolina lodge and last weekend i traveled alone for the first time. it was the perfect place for a first time solo traveler. can anyone recommend any other places like that in costa rica to visit. i already have been to many of the main places. i am thinking of going to puerto viejo. i have already been there but would like to go again by myself. can you reccomend anywhere to stay that is safe and tranquilo and not too expensive. i am not too into partying i just want to relax on the beach and take in the food and culture. thanks!
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 03:52 PM

Where did you stay the last time you were there?? I'm thinking about staying at Las Palmas in Punta Uva or the Hotel Suerre. What do you suggest?
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 04:36 PM

Banana Azul gets good reviews in Puerto Viejo. I think hipvirgochick stayed there - maybe she can give you some details.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 06:08 PM

corine83, I'm surprised that you visited la Carolina. I would never have thought it an ideal place for someone to go alone. In the first place, how in the world did you get there? It's so "tucked away" from everything else! BUT I'm so glad you enjoyed it--a very special place.

Puerto Viejo is good. Seaturtlelady, I researched both places you mentioned back in 2004 when my daughter and I were planning a trip to PV in October. Can't remember why, but we decided against both of them. Seems like there were some negative reviews or they were too "motel like" or some such thing.

Azania Bungalows are very nice and I would highly recommend. Also La Costa de Pepito near PV. In Puerto Viejo, Casa Verde has always gotten excellent reviews, although we've not stayed there. Clean and inexpensive, right in town.

Another out of the way place you might enjoy is Savegre Lodge, south on the Interamerican toward San Isidro. It is off the highway about 20 minutes (get off the bus at km 81--the driver will know) in the little town of San Gerardo de Dota. Very peaceful---and marvelously COLD! Take a warm jacket for the evening chill! There are lots of blankets on the beds. . .I LOVE that place!

Happy travels. . .
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

thank you for your consejos. i will be looking in to them. to be honest i do not remember the name of where we stayed last time. there were i think two cabinas and all i remember is the owner was wearing a neon blue speedo and a big jungle explorer khaki vest not that that helps any.

i got to la carolina by taking the bus to upala but getting off in bijagua and then a woman at a soda called a friend bec. there were no taxis and he took me to the lodge. the first night was amazing i had the whole place to myself. i loved it! the second day i had to share though it was still good though bec. there are so many activities you donīt feel wierd or uncomfortable being by yourself.

anyway, thanks again and if anyone has more suggestions i am open to them.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:51 AM

We did really love Banana Azul in Puerto Viejo and in fact are going back next Spring. It's about $50 a night I think. There were several groups of people your age there and I think you would like it. We also made a lot of new friends there. Colin and Roberto are the owners and they're super sweet. It's on the beach, which is swimmable/playable depending on the tide and time of year. You can walk 20 min on the beach into town, which we liked too. There are also bicycles. We visited the sloth rescue center which was very cool and recommend if you're into that sort of thing. If you want to take a guided hike in the rainforest of Gandoca-Manzanillo wildlife refuge that's a nice way to spend part of the day.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 06:27 AM

I traveled alone to Puerto Viejo for 6 days in July, and loved it! I'm 19, and I stayed at Rocking J's, and I'm really glad I made that choice, because I met other travelers and was able to go out at night with them without feeling nervous about being by myself. I liked being able to easily meet other travelers, and most of them were young adults. Rocking J's isn't for everyone though, but I found it hard to beat for only $5/night for a hammock! If you want more details/info, let me know, and good luck. I hope you're enjoying CR!
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 09:21 AM

Also check into San Gerardo de Dota area, Savegre Hotel, for someplace beautiful, uncrowded, and different. You can easily get there by bus and transfer (the last 10 miles). The hotel will tell you exactly how to arrange your travel.