Costa Rica tree house

Nov 9th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Costa Rica tree house

Hi, my husband and I are going to Costa Rica for the second time in Feb and would like to know if anyone has been to the beach house in the Costa Rica tree house, Puerto Viejo Caribbean area, recently. Pictures from their website look amazing, but I am afraid to make a reservation. Is it safe to drive to that area from the Alajuela area? I am just concerned about the driving through Puerto Limon. Our first trip we drove to Arenal, Manuel Antonio, and Sugar Beach in Guanacaste and had a fantastic trip. Any comment will be appreciated.
Nov 9th, 2007, 08:11 PM

Haven't been to the Treehouse, but the drive from San Jose to Puerto Viejo is very safe and good roads. Up and down and windy at times, but smooth.
Nov 10th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for taking your time to answer.
Nov 14th, 2007, 03:28 PM

Are you talking about the tree house at Rocking J's hostel, or a different one? I've been to Rockin J's, and although I haven't been in the tree house, I can tell you about my experience there. I loved the place, but I'm not sure what kind of atmostphere you're looking for as a married couple. It's definitely a young crowd, mostly backpackers. I guess its a little different with the treehouse, but there isn't much privacy.
Either way, Puerto Viejo is a great town. Make SURE you go to the beach in Punta Uva (or Uvita) which is down the road a ways from the town of puerto viejo. It's gorgeous.

As far as the drive goes, I wouldn't worry. You can pretty much bypass Puerto Limon, you don't need to go through the city per se. I actually took the bus, but i think it would be fine to drive.

If you have more questions about PV, I'd be happy to answer them. Have a great trip!
Nov 14th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi betts20e, no I don't think it's the same lodge b/c the Tree house is in Punta Uva "whithin the Gandoca Manzanillo Wildlife refuge". They are located 5 kms South from Puerto Viejo and they have 3 lodges (Tree house, Beach House, and Beach suite) according to their website. Thank you for the info regarding the safety of the driving through Puerto Limon. I was a little bit concerned since I know two different couples that went on a cruise that stopped there and their stories about the safety of the place are horrible. One of them took a shore excursion (2 years ago) on a train that "got robbed" (I am assuming it was part of the tour) and everybody needed to give them money in order for the train to continue. The other couple (they went now in the summer) said that they did not let them touch the floor, they were transported from a bus to a train parked one right next to the other, with security guys at each side of the bus. Again I have been to Costa Rica, but never to this side of the country. We are both in our early thirty, but we definitely want privacy. Thank you again!
Nov 14th, 2007, 05:43 PM

If you search "Mishi" you will find her honeymoon report from the Tree House. I think she really enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, that's all I know! Good luck with your decision!