Travel within Costa Rica- HELP!?!

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Beth

Travel within Costa Rica- HELP!?!

I am traveling to Costa Rica this August with 2 girlfriends of mine- we want to explore the country without renting a car- is this possible? How can I find out about buses?

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 11:17 AM
David Cook

It is possible to take busses virtually everywhere in CR, it's a lot cheaper than renting a car, just slower. The best part of bus travel was meeting all the people, you really get a sense of what life is like there. People are mostly very friendly and helpful and many speak English (esp. younger people). You can find out some about bus travel in a CR country guide like from Lonely Planet. There are several different bus lines from various stations in San Jose with all kinds of service (express to larger towns or smaller "school busses" that stop at every wide spot in the road!) Good luck, you'll have lotsa fun!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:54 AM
beth

Thanks for your reply David. Our plan is to go from San Jose to Monteverde to Tamarindo to Arenal back to San Jose. Will we be able to find buses to and from each of these cities in this order?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:33 PM
David Cook

Those are all well-known tourist spots and you should have no problem finding busses to them. In some cases, you may have to switch busses between destinations. Your hotel staff can usually get you pointed in the right direction. Be sure to keep your eye on your baggage at all times. Don't be a victim!

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 12:01 AM
Michael

Hi Beth:
Check these web sites for bus times and schedules.
http://www.graylinecostarica.com/fantasy_bus.html

http://www.interbusonline.com/

Good Luck

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Terri

I just returned from a 3-week trip to Costa Rica and used everything from small private shuttle buses such as Interbus($25), to a converted school bus ($2). I have to say that my favorite method of travel was the public bus: it's cheap, reliable, and a wonderful way to experience the real Costa Rica. Just ask your hotel for help - they will be more than happy to assist you bus information.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Beth

www.interbusonline.com does not work from my computer, how else can I find the bus schedule?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Michael

Your right, that web site doesn't work for me either now. Try
http://adventure-costarica.com/trave...s/interbus.htm