Search

Topless in PDC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 04:11 PM
speedo_wearer

Topless in PDC

What is the big deal about topless women on the beach? Americans seem so pre-ocupied with corrupting their kids that they fail to notice that their kids don't even pay attention - they just walk on by. It's the fat American male that stops and drools and tries to take pictures (while poking his buddy in the ribs and pointing). Maybe that's why so many American women are freaked - it's their uncouth husbands carrying on like perverts that bothers them. <BR> <BR>And on the topic of men (fat, skinny or fit) in Speedoes -- what gives why do you Americans feel the right to criticize what someone else wears. If you don't like it, stop staring. We don't care what you're wearing. <BR> <BR>Don't worry, just be happy - life's too short to worry about how we look. Hey, you could be dead tomorrow.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 03:59 AM
WhoTheHellCares?!

Oh, give it a rest buddy! Youre just trying to start a war on this forum, this subject has been done to DEATH! Its B-O-R-I-N-G!

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 02:18 PM
RespectingOthers

As an American, I'm not at all preoccupied by topless women whether it be from the point of view of my spouse or my children. <BR>However, as an American, who has visited a number of Mexican villages, towns, and big cities - on the coasts and in the interior - on a number of times, I *AM* sensitive to Mexican culture, religious beliefs, traditions, and its people. Therefore, I know that public nudity is offensive to the Mexican people. <BR>They do not like it, they do not approve of it. <BR>Why would I (or YOU for that matter) insult them by insisting on

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 02:30 PM
RespectingOthers

As I was saying........ <BR> <BR>Public Nudity in Mexico: <BR>Mexicans do not like it, they do not approve of it. <BR>Why would I (or YOU for that matter) insult them by insisting on an activity that is evidently acceptable where you live but which offends the vast majority of Mexicans? <BR>Do you insist and persist in gaining admittance to St. Peter's dressed in shorts and a tank-top? Do you and your wife just push your way into Mosques, Jewish Temples and Mormon houses of worship? <BR>It's all about *RESPECT* and you obviously have none for Mexico and Mexicans. <BR>

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 06:47 PM
good_point

Your point is well taken. You are an intelligent and sensitive American. It was not the topic of insensitivity to the local culture that I bring up - I agree wholeheartly about that issue. Unfortunately many of your countrymen are respond like pimply teenagers in the presence of nudity and are to pre-occupied with judgemental views. You however seem to have risen above the pack. <BR> <BR>On the St Peter issue. On judgement day I am confident that I will be admitted, as I live my life with much caring for my fellow man. I'm just tired of judgemental people. Let God be my judge.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 07:46 PM
God/Dios

Good People-Please leave ME out of your petty squabbles about someone else's chi-chi's OK?

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Chi Chi

'ChiChis' is Mexican slang for breasts. <BR>The attitude that US Americans have towards nudity really is puzzling. <BR>Their Media is replete with violence towards women and visible minorities yet they fear the Human Body unclothed. <BR>Sad sad people who's Empire is crumbling and they honestly don't know why.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 08:46 AM
tiredofbashing

What I'm really tired of it the generalizations that people make regarding one culture or nationality. Are all Mexicans tequilla-guzzling louts? Are all French rude and have mistresses? No! Quit trying to compartmentalize people and just accept the fact that all the world over, people are people with their own personal biases and opinions. I just find it amazing that on a travel forum, that steroetypes abound. Travel is supposed to open your mind, not close it tighter.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 09:05 PM
Kathy

RE: topless. I have a 15 and 18 year old. I have not yet heard the word MODESTY in anyones conversation. I am trying to raise som kids with some values and have been trying to find a place outside the U.S. where they don't have to look at bare breasts. Cayman Islands is the only place I know where topless exposure is not allowed on public beaches (and many private resorts-been there). Any suggestions from anyone? Modesty is not wrong or a bad thing. Nor is trying to bring up your kids with some morals.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Nancy

To those looking for "modesty" for vacation destinations... Most non-French Caribbean islands (and Mexico) neither condone nor tolerate topless or nude sunbathing. At many resorts I have been to in both Mexico and the Caribbean, this rule is posted in room literature, but insensitive guests sometimes ignore the "suggestion," and people in Mexico and the Caribbean are sometimes too polite to enforce it.<BR><BR>It is essential that travelers from other countries - wherever they may be from - should take steps to educate themselves about their travel destinations to avoid the "Ugly American" syndrome...

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Mark

Anyone that thinks raising their kids with VALUES has anything to do with sheltering them from bare-breasted women has a serious problem with, er, values.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Dirk

Sorry, not all of us like to look at banana hammocks.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 05:44 AM
D

You need to be sensitive to the culture. You are foolish if you impose your culture on another. If you want a topless beach go to Maui. If you go to Huatulco in August when Mexicans are on vacation and there are no tourists no one will be topless and bathingsuits will be much more modest. Allow people their culture without your culutral imperialism.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 05:29 AM
cdt

To Kathy:<BR><BR>I don't think you will encounter much toplessness in the US or British Virgin Islands, St. Kitts, Nevis, Antigua, or Grenada.<BR><BR>(Not intended to be a complete list - just some examples beyond the Caymans).<BR>

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 05:48 AM
John

Kathy,<BR><BR>Topless bathing is not allowed in Brazil and much of Latin America. Zippolite in Mexico is one exception I can think of. It is also not acceptable in much of Asia, except where there are lots of western European tourists (i.e. Phuket, Koh Samui, Boracay, Bali etc). Even then it is only acceptable on the beach and most Asians are horrified to see a girl leave the beech without covering up first.<BR><BR>One think I don't understand is why your kids are going to grow up with a stronger sense of morality if they do not see a few pairs of tits.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 03:54 PM
3)

Several different debates going on simultaneously here:<BR><BR>1) Most importantly, respect for Mexican culture, which GENERALLY speaking does not condone topless sunbathing. It is very infrequent on the West Coast (except Zipolite). I think the Caribbean side you might see it more because of more European tourists there.<BR><BR>2) Americans and Canadians who do not condone this and do not wish to witness it. Why it would bother teenagers or their parents to see this I am not sure. But if it does, it is EASILY avoided.<BR><BR>3) If you are female and wanting to sunbathe in peace, topless, please go somewhere European where it is a part of the culture.

Old Jun 10th, 2011, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand that some people are from cultures that accept nudity, or they have formed a personal opinion that it is acceptable. That is every person's right. However, these people should also recognize the right of other cultures and persons to feel and believe differently. My husband & I are unapologetic Christians, and while we absolutely uphold each individual's personal choice in the matter, we believe the only people who should be viewing another's private parts are married partners. That's our personal view and we have a right to live by it. Therefore, if we desire to go to a beach where nudity is forbidden (in theory, if not enforced), why does another person have the right to violate our informed choice by flouting the rules & imposing their own way of thinking? We recently were in Akumal Mexico, where toplessness is not locally practiced; we specifically chose Akumal becuase of its reputation as a more conservative area. One day two girls (not American or European, Brazilian I think) came to the beach and took their tops off. You could see that the locals who worked in the area were not accustomed to this, & while some men obviously were enjoying it, others looked uncomfortable & annoyed. These girls were not subtle or discreet, either, they got up, played in the water. My husband & I were then faced with either staying & trying to just avoid looking in their general direction, which was right in front of us, or leaving. After a short while my husband suggested we go back to our condo & come back later that evening, which was fine, it just rankled with me that they were the ones breaking the rules but we had to cut our morning short or compromise our values (and yes, a person's viewpoint is part of their "values" but certainly not the totality of them). I can only imgine how parents felt who had their own personal choice of how what to expose their children to or not made for them by such selfish behavior. It's a shame everyone doesn't respect everyone else's choice in matters like this, and practice that choice in accepted areas instead of trying to enforce their way of thinking on everybody.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 06:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
chellyroo, This thread is 10 years old.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It may be 10 years old, but it the topic was relevant to our trip last week