Search

top 10 colonial cities

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 08:09 AM
patrick

top 10 colonial cities

if you had to pick the "top 10" colonial cities in mexico (beautiful, located near interesting sites, etc.) what would they be? i'm planning to take an immersion spanish course in august and would like to take it in an interesting city that will serve as a good starting point for a circa 12-day trip after the course is over. i'm thinking about oaxaca, cuernavaca, san migeul, guanajuato. any thoughts?

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 10:52 AM
Paula C.

I vote for Oaxaca.

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 01:08 PM
michele

Yes, Oaxaca, and I was only there briefly, but Queretero looked lovely, too. Your list is very accurate. I was disappointed in Guanajuato. It was incredibly busy when I was there ( August)and beyond noisy. Probably the timing...

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 12:16 PM
krainey

Oaxaca is fabulous, their zocalo is one of the best in the country. I also love Puebla. They have several universities to choose from that offer Spanish immersion courses, UDLA has an especially good one. The city really has a lot to offer and the location is ideal for weekend trips - most worth seeing are no more than 2 hours away. There is a great market and Puebla is known for mole and Talavera pottery. Good luck!

Old May 15th, 1999, 04:47 PM
Steve Gordon

Puebla would get my vote as a wonderful city to learn Spanish and soak up some of the local flavor. There is always something to do or see there and when that is over you have to go out and try some of the unique foods that one can opnly find in Puebla; los tacos arabes at Tacos Tony are great and the mole can be found almost anywhere, also 10 mins. away in Cholula is a wonderful market and a delicious taco place off the main square called Gueros. The weather is also quite pleasnt during the summer months. Buen viaje! <BR> <BR>P.S. I will be going to Oaxaca this year so I'll be able to compare. <BR>