To Scott

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Scott

You sound like and expert on Costa Rica. We are leaving July 13 and are renting a car in San Jose and driving to Manuel Antonio for 7 nights at the Tulemar Bungelows. We want to go on a day trip to Aernal. Is that too much driving for one day? Thank You Rena
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 04:01 AM

Hi,

Well, I'm not Scott, but he is often on trips and can't always read this board regularly.

However, although I am just planning my trip to CR, I have read on this board that the ride from MA to Arenal is about 5 hours. So I'd say, "yes" this is too much driving in one day.

Karen
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 07:32 AM

Why don't you go directly to Arenal after arriving in SJ. It's only 3 hours from there. I'd suggest an overniter and then travel on to MA. I'll be in CR tomorrow for the summer at our place in Tamarindo and plan to take 2 different groups of guests visiting us to the volcano and we will definately stay over nite. Worth it.
Marilynn
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 08:18 AM

Hi Marilynn,

I will be in Tamarindo and Playa Hermosa in late July and want to take a trip to Arenal. Can you tell me how long of a drive it is? And can you do a day trip or recommend overnight? Thank you for your help.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 10:48 AM

JRtarrant I personally think the drive is a bit long and would not recommend trying Arenal as a day trip. Also the driving is not casual highway as you might find in the US, rather it is a lot tougher on the body and mind.

For a point of reference. 1 hour driving in Costa Rica is similar to backing up your car down a US highway for 20 minutes. It is hard to equate the driving differences between Costa Rica and the US.

marilynn's suggestion of going to Arenal is a better choice. Spend a night or 2 and then head to Manuel Antonio after a good nights sleep. Depending on the time you arrive you may be able to go straight to Arenal from the airport. However, I would not suggest trying this if you arrive later in the afternoon. Try not to drive long distances at night if possible.

ewesthoff I offer you the same advise. I wouldn't recommend it as a day trip. You will enjoy yourself more if you plan to spend a night. Maybe you could drive to Arenal on your way back to San Jose or from San Jose to Tamarindo (approx 3-4 hours).

Have Fun!

Scott