To drink or not to drink....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the chicha in Peru. I am all about trying the flavors of the place I'm visiting. As a vegetarian, I have an excuse not to eat the cuy (guinea pig), though if I were offered it in a private home I'd choke it down to be polite. But I'm wondering how many of you would:
a) Try it-when will you get a chance again?
b) No way-it's made with human saliva!
c) Try it-but not till the last day just in case
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 12:24 PM

I tried it, but at a place that is "supposed to be okay for tourists". I think that's the key. I was told to be careful with stuff that may have been sitting around for too long.

The place I tried was along the road between Ollantaytambo and Maras/Moray.

The driver knew about it.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 12:25 PM

I can't speak from personal chicha experience, but I vote for try it - just don't think about it too much! And don't wait until the last day because what if you love it? Those are often the things you remember and laugh about for years to come. We're going to Peru in June and we'll definitely drink up - though I'm not sure about the cuy because I used to breed and raise guinea pigs when I was a kid...
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

I doubt that I'll love it; I was thinking wait till last day so if I'm sick I miss work, not vacation.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 02:48 PM

That was my thinking about eating ceviche in Lima! That made me a lot more nervous than the chicha.

And then there's cuy. Didn't try it.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 02:49 PM

BTW, it's recommended to get Hepatitis A and B shots for Peru. That made it a bit easier to eat the ceviche, which was absolutely delicious.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

I've got all the shots possible(had the Hep already from previous travels), as I'm spending the first week doing a mission trip on the Amazon before my "solo, independent" week as a tourist.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 04:54 AM

Although the national dish it is not daily fare so I wouldn't worry about it. It is getting more expensive, e.g. $20.00 at a tourist place last Christmas time. I would be surprised if you got into a situation where you kinda had to eat it as I once did with a vat of of menudo in Mexico once. BTW it doesn't "taste like chicken."
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Whenevr I'm in a situation where I have to eat what's served or be really offensive it's something way out there-goat, veal-and/or I'm sitting across from the guy eating a sheep's head or a whole rabbit or something.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Who has tried chicha?
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 10:05 AM

I tried it a couple of times whilst in Peru (I will try almost anything once!!) Would I try it again -no. Not because it is particularly unpleasant just it wasn't to my taste. Having said this, I wasn't aware that it is made with human saliva!! I think I will stick to Birds's Nest Soup in future (made with Swift's spit!).
We got warned off the Cuy by a peruvian friend who told us it usually causes rampant diahorrea - had enough problems in that direction already!
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 10:40 AM

I thought about trying the cuy at the Inka Grill (think that's the name of the upscale tourist restaurant on the plaza in Cusco). They wanted 60 soles for it. Our driver said cuy is delicious but I decided to pass.

To me the plain chicha tasted a bit like home brewed hard cider with a sour tang, I don't really like cider but if you do, then you might like chicha. The French Canadian in our impromptu tour group liked it. I preferred the one with the added strawberries, which was more like a fruit smoothie.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 05:13 AM

I didn't like the chicha - tried both varieties. One sip of each was enough. And luckily at the time I had no idea saliva was an ingredient!
I would stick with the Cusquena (sp?) beer.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 07:40 PM

i was dubious, but my guide on the inca trail had us try some chicha that he said was not made w/ saliva. he said there are folks who now make it w/o. i also thought it tasted somewhat like hard cider. i didn't care for it...
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 09:03 AM

The Cuy is not bad. I have eaten it twice and had no bad effects. It is like eating any other kind of meat (sort of). Usually a couple of thighs is enough for me. Plus, they serve it with vegetables as well.