Search

Tips re Puerto Vallarta

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips re Puerto Vallarta

We are spending a week at the Puerto Vallarta Westin in April. Any tips on what is on the "must do" list? How about the "must avoid" list?
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 10:47 PM

What do you like to do?
For me, the must-dos would be: Marietas Islands, snorkel by Los Arcos, Yelapa, the malecon at night.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 05:29 AM

Suze is the real Expert when it comes to PV. Hopefully she will chime in soon.
For me just enjoy all the great restaurants especially IMO the best Lola Bravo's Red Cabbage. A bit off the beaten path but well worth the trip.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 08:11 AM

Bookmarking
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 10:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hola! I love Puerto Vallarta and have been going there 1-2x/year for 20+ years. I just adore the city, the friendly local people, the warm welcome, beautiful weather, the gorgeous setting on the Bay of Banderas with the mountains and jungles beyond. Let's see...

Must avoid: sunburn, hangover, tripping on the cobblestone streets.

Must do: walk around downtown, visit the church, stroll the Malecon (seawall promenade), visit the Saturday morning Old Town Farmer's Market at Lazaro Cardenas plaza, watch the sunset.

You'll want to have peso to spend. Get them from your home bank in advance, from an ATM after arrival, or by changing USD at a "cambio" (exchange booth or window).

There are loads of formal tours and paid activities to do, an endless list really... I'm no expert because I've not done them -lol- but there's the Rhythms of the Night evening cruise, a boat trip to Yelapa, ziplines, parasailing, horseback rides, jungle tours, home tours, gallery openings, sculpture walk, etc. etc.

www.vallarta-info.com has great maps and is an excellent overview of what is available.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 10:26 AM

dlaredo, Maybe you know this already, but your hotel is in The Marina district. That's located very near the airport way in the north side of the city. There is some shopping and restaurants close by. but most of the popular places are in Centro (downtown) or Zona Romantica (southside) which is a 15-20 taxi ride or 30 mins. bus ride to the south of where you will be.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 07:29 PM

Restaurants: Archie's Wok, Derby Burger. Both are in the romantic zone.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 07:42 AM

El Rio BBQ on Friday afternoon, live music with Bobby & Gilberto, and amazing ribs in a wonderful setting next to the river Cuale !
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 09:45 AM

Just back from a extended week holiday. If you have time take time to explore outside PV. San Sebastian up in the hills or head for San Pancho (San Francisco) both are easy and doable by bus Wal-Mart seems to be bus central for these outlying areas.
Everything mentioned above is great if you have a place to eat pick up a bag of the cooked shrimp at Wal-Mart, some pineapple to mix in it and kick back on your terrace to view the sunset with beverage of choice in hand.
Joe Jacks has good fish and chips, Archies Wok is good chinese food,great little place just across the street from the cathedral, more locals spot mexican food 3 course breakfast or lunch 60 peso's.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 09:53 AM

Gaby's?
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 10:35 AM

http://www.vallartatribune.com/

A link to the tourist newspaper.
Old Mar 19th, 2015, 07:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I stayed at the Westin for a week last April. Here is my trip report. It's light on activities but there may be some useful information in there for you.

http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...o-vallarta.cfm
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 06:43 AM

There's no bus to San Sebastian at Wal-Mart, the place to catch that one is at Lucern and Harve on this map, "Red Bus" http://vallartainfo.com/hotelzone.html
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 09:51 AM

I did get a bus at Wal-mart for both San Pancho and San Sebastian. No idea if it was something special or not I do know I had to be there at set time (hotel gave me time) while San Pancho bus ran again according to hotel about every 20-30 min. So double check with your hotel or booking place.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 03:21 PM

Sassafrass, Feel free to add your questions we love to talk PV! I'm also on the Trip Advisor Puerto Vallarta forum regularly, if you want another resource.
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 08:32 AM

Its pretty easy to take the buses around. I would suggest a bus trip to the little town of Boca- its the last stop on the bus line. There are a couple of restaurants and you can lay on the beach all day if you want.

I would take a water taxi to Yelepa- another nice beach town, there are some hikes you can do if you like to do more than lay on the beach.

We used Vallarta Adventures to go to San Sebastian- it was a very nice day with a stop at a tequila manufacture/tasting room on the way home.

A day trip to Las Caletas with Vallarta Adventures- you go over by boat, spend the day doing lots of water sports, all the gear provided- lunch is included, walk around the area ( former home of director John Huston) I thought it was a fun day. It is also the same place as Rhythms of the Night takes place. I enjoyed the day trip the most.

Spend the day at the Sea Monkey on the Malecon- home of $1 margaritas- lots of beach chairs, umbrellas and attentive waiters willing to keep margarita glass full.

Enjoy
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 08:51 AM

Another suggestion is a day trip to the Ocean Grill Restaurant- I did not have a chance to do this but have friends who have and highly recommended. You have to get there by water taxi and it is a beautiful spot of paradise.
I was in the bay in a boat and it is very beautiful

http://www.vallartadaily.com/ocean-grill/
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 12:55 PM

I think we lost our new poster?
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 02:03 PM

Suze,
Thanks. PV seems like a wonderful place to consider for a family trip. We have a 50th anniversary coming up next year and would like to do a trip with grown up kids and GD. We love cruises, and they are great with a small child, but one DD doesn't like cruises, so we are looking at other places and your posts make PV a good possibility. Right now, no questions, but if we choose it, I will be back if I have questions, after I read all your posts. I try to research as much as I can first, and you have already been generous with information.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 02:08 PM

My pleasure. I love Vallarta and to share it with others. If you click on my screen name here I have a thread from after each of my more recent trips. Extremely casual 'trip reports' if you will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -