Tips Mexico City Weekend

Mar 12th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Tips Mexico City Weekend

I am visiting mexico city with my husband for a weekend only end of March 2008.
Please tell me:
1. where we should stay (4 star) in the city that is nice, safe, good location and has some charm?
2. the one really cool thing you found or did there
3. the one favourite restuarant you ate at and recommend
THANK YOU SO MUCH

Mar 12th, 2008, 06:37 AM

To answer #2, my favorite thing in Mexico City was exploring the shops, restaurants, museums, parks and churches of the Coyoacan and San Angel neighborhoods. Funky, historic and on a smaller scale than most of the city.

I haven't been for a while, so I can't comment on 1 or 2, but I might look for a hotel in one of the above neighborhoods.
Mar 12th, 2008, 06:39 AM

1) I like the Hotel Majestic, which is on the Zocalo.

http://www.mexonline.com/majestic.htm

The lobby is very nice, restaurant O.K. with a great view. The rooms are a little tired. Location really can't be beat for a short trip to the city: the Zocalo itself, the cathedral, the National Palace with its Rivera murals and the ruins of the Templo Mayor and its excellent small museum are all a few minute's walk away.

2) Just one? Too hard. Guess it would be Teotihuacan or the National Museum of Anthropology. Cheated, got in two.

3) Fonda el Refugio, Liverpool 166, Zona Rosa

This is a great old fashioned restaurant. The food is very good, the atmosphere charming. You might want to have your concierge make a reservation of the weekend.

Mar 13th, 2008, 06:11 AM

look into the sheraton in terms of central- across from alameda park, several museums with rivera murals and an easy 10 minute walk to the zocalo-check out reviews on tripadvisor.com; our prefernce and stay over xmas was in the 4-5*camino real, delightful--get a rate for an executive floor room with a balcony overlooking the pool--includes hor doeuvres and drinks in the evening--on the same floor and around the corner from the executive guesting-other wing on that floor gets music noise into the early hours from a downstairs restaurant; 10 minute walk to chapultepec park and the anthropolgy, tamayo, and other museums, and a 15 minute metro ride-4-5 stops-to the zocalo. take a look at my trip advisor review for camino real and you will get answers to your other questions.
Mar 13th, 2008, 07:50 AM

We too loved the Sheraton. They have 2 restaurants, but their Mexican restaurant was the best food we ate in Mexico...especially the breakfast. It was always packed at breakfast and lunch with business people.

We had another very good meal, but will have to find my journal for the name.

You'll love Mexico City.
Mar 13th, 2008, 09:25 AM

I visit Mexico City for about 4 days at least once every year. I love it!

And my favorite restaurant is the Hosteria Santo Domingo in the Central Historical District.

It is the oldest restaurant in Mexico City and the best, in my opinion. During the afternoon it is very crowded, as this is the peak meal for most Mexicans. They have strolling musicians at this time.

However, my favorite time to dine here is in the evening (go around 6:30pm or so) when one can have a great, authentic, and moderately-priced Mexican meal with the bonus of a lady, lounge-style singer and a piano player. You will think you are in a film out of the late 30's or 40's.

One word of "notice", though. The staff speaks very little English. However, don't let that stop you. It only adds to the authenticity. The servers are very, very nice and work through this problem with great patience. You will quickly realize you are not in a touristy restaurant. You are simply in the best restaurant.
Mar 13th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Here is the restaurant web site: http://www.hosteriadesantodomingo.com.mx/

I forgot to give it in the above post.

Search this Thread