Search

Tikal info from Antigua?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tikal info from Antigua?

Planning a trip to Antigua and thinking about the possibility for a quick side trip to Tikal to see it. May only have one day for it. Is it possible to do in one day on a tour or does a person really need 2 days to make the side trip Antigua/Tikal?
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 05:34 AM

You can do it in a day. Several airlines fly from Guatemala City to Flores, which takes about an hour. From Flores take a bus to Tikal, which also takes about an hour or 90 minutes. Our flight to Flores left around 6:00 a.m., and the return flight was late afternoon. My wife did the reservations via the internet with a Guatemalan-based travel agent, but I don't remember which one. You can also find travel agents in Antigua to help you plan the trip.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

thanks, I think I have decided to do the two days. However, I have another question. I will be leaving from Antigua. How early do you think I need to leave Antigua to make it to Guatemala City to catch a 6:30 a.m. flight to Flores?
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 01:15 PM

Our hotel in Antigua arranged for a minivan to pick us up to go to the airport. It left before 5:00 a.m. because we had to pick up some other people at other hotels. Make sure you and your driver know which airline you are on to Flores, because they are not in the main terminal where the big international flights come in. Tikal Jets is on the west side of the airport, about a half mile north of the main terminal, and some of the others are in their own little terminals on the east side of the airport. Be prepared for the finest in 1970's Soviet technology and comfort in some of those old prop planes.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

good, I like a little adventure sprinkled in. thanks
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:57 AM

Belair,

My first trip to tikal from Guate City was 1973--Old DC-3. It was to the old air strip at the base camp of Tikal. You could slide the windows open for a better view. We were probably not of over 1k in alt.

Another time, my wife and I flew up and two days later flew back from Flores in a weird aircraft like I had never seen before. Soviet? Hmmmm. maybe.

Norm
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 04:43 PM

I would recommend that you let your hotel or agent set up your pick up time. We worked with Mundo Guatemala in Antigua - exceptionally professional. When we were there last summer the van drivers were very punctual. We flew Tikal Jets to Flores and they had very nice equipment. Tikal is a wonderful experience. Highly recommend it.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

did you spend the night at the ruins? If so where? Any advice of best way to see the ruins, what to avoid? thanks
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 04:51 AM

We are heading down into Guat in Feb also.

We are going to Atitlan first then to Antigua from there on to Tikal. We decided to do it that way as we were told that Antigua is only about 45mins to 1 hr from Guatemala city. Enjoy Guatemala is a good site to get help and info.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Suzie2:

thanks for the web site. Looks like lots of good info. I am going in March. I wonder what time a person needs to leave Antigua to catch the 6:30 a.m. flight out of Guatemala City to Flores? Someone will be picking me up in Antigua but I don't know for sure what time yet. I wonder how long it will take to clear security in GUA. City. If antigua is an hour away and the flight leaves GUA at 6:30. Jeez! I may have to leave Antigua at 3:30 a.m.!! Anyone know if security clearance for Tikal Jets is different than for the carriers flying to the U.S.?
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 03:37 PM

Hi nonstop,

The big thing I remember from our 2001 trip to Guatemala is that all of our luggage when flying from Guatemala City to Flores was hand-checked for fruit! (Yes, dangerous fruit... which could be carrying insects.)

See if you can arrange to leave the bulk of your belongings in Antigua if you are coming back to Antigua or in Guatemala City in if they have stored luggage facilities at the airport. That will make the overnight trip a lot easier.

Not sure how much time to allow. I checked my trip journal, but I was not as diligent as I have become about noting travel times, etc.

So glad you decided on the overnight. I'd recommend staying at the lodge at Tikal. That way you can walk into the ruins in the late afternoon/early evening and early morning. I'd recommend getting to the top of one of the pyramids so you are at a bird's flight level and enjoying the early morning or late afternoon show of animal & bird sightings and sounds. It's quite an experience watching a toucan in flight at eye-level!

Sharon
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Sharon-thanks for the info. I am planning to stay at the Jungle Lodge there. It looks pretty nice on the web. I plan to climb one of the pyramids in the a.m. Do you think there will be a lot of other guests there? Any other advice about Tikal? thanks