Thrifty car rental-Why so cheap?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been pricing car rental in CR for 8 days of trave. A Cherokee sport from Thrifty is 547.00 w/ liability ins. included. all others are 700+ for a comparable vehicle w required ins.Is there a catch with this or is Thrifty reliable and just a good deal?
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Iza

Is this during low or high season? In August we are usually able to get a Nissan Pathfinder from Dollar for less than $500 a week (including insurance). So your price sounds just right.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 05:03 PM
koa

Since we are on the subject of rental cars, and i have asked this question before with no luck. How is dollar rent a car? They have some of the best rates. I was thinking of renting from them, but wasnt sure since everyone raves about adobe and mapache.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 05:16 PM

Well, what is the "required insurance". I would think that means collision AND liability coverage, at least. Maybe you aren't using the right terms, but if you only have liability insurance and you total the vehicle, then you will owe them one Cherokee Sport.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:15 PM

Your quote sounds comparable to what we paid,which was $465/week for a Toyota 4Runner, all taxes and insurance included. We traveled in July - the dry season rate was $599. Assuming you are traveling before May 1, it seems like a good deal to me.
Terri
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:37 PM

They make sure you are covered with the insurance. I don't think you need to worry. We always use our credit card for part of the insurance. It doesn't help a LOT, but $5-$6 per day for a few days adds up. Tell them to call your card and verify that it covers part of your insurance. I always double check our card before we leave, but Dollar double checks it for us at their office. Just takes a minute. Speaking of Dollar, we have used them about 6 times and have always been very pleased. Never a problem. The first couple of times, we ended up in San Jose at a hotel for our last night in Costa Rica, and didn't want to drive the car back to the Dollar place on our way to the airport the next morning (we feel more comfortable with that now), and they cheerfully picked it up at the hotel and finished our paperwork for us there. . very good to work with--I think under about any circumstances. We are going next month, but this time we are using Tri-Color. We have booked that company through the Hotel Don Carlos where we always stay. We booked them because they were incredibly cheap (and the quoted price included insurance and tax). The tour office coordinator at the hotel gave his word that the company is very reliable. For example, we got a Suzuki 4 X 4 for a week for less than $300--sounded almost too good to be true, but we have worked with the hotel and Juan Carlos several times and are willing to give it a try because we trust them. The Suzuki Ignius is a very small 4X4, and your price of $547 for a larger SUV doesn't sound unreasonable. We have paid that before for a Toyota Forerunner.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Iza

We rented from Dollar Rent a Car during our last two trips to CR and were very pleased with their service and the cars we got. Last August we had a brand new Nissan with A/C, CD player and all other bells and whistles - very nice! They were not able to do the paperwork for us at the hotel but they picked us up and dropped us off and acommodated us in other ways as well (the driver stopped at a bank and waited for us so that we can get some colones from an ATM).
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 02:16 PM
koa

Good to hear about dollar. They have good rates for their vehicles. Is the office located by the Hampton across the airport?
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 04:35 PM

We rented a Jeep Cherokee from Thrifty X-Mas week. Good experience. Its located at Hampton Inn right near the airport (they meet your plane with a shuttle van), people there were very helpful in making sure I had good directions to the hotel we were heading to, and the car was in good shape. I would use them again.