Three days in Costa Rica left to plan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family (2 adults and 2 kids (7 and 9) are heading to Costa Rica for 2 weeks. We have 4 nights in Santa Theresa (we are surfers) and then head to the Osa Peninsula. We're staying at the Iguana Lodge for 5 nights and are trying to decide if we should then head to the Arenal region or stay in Osa and stay at Bosque del Cabo. Many of the posts regarding Osa have been really helpful and I'm tempted to have us stay in Osa and do Iguana and Bosque. Would anyone suggest going to Arenal? Will our experience there be much different than Osa? Our prime considerations are family time, beach and jungle time, wildlife sightings and general relaxation. I'd love input. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 01:51 PM

Arenal is really well known for having the volcano, having great adventure activities, and for its natural hot springs like Tabacon and Eco Termales. We love it. If you just want to relax and have wildlife sightings, I'd probably head to Bosque del Cabo; the wildlife there is the best we've ever seen, great hiking and trails.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 01:57 PM

I would head to Bosque for relaxation, the wildlife, jungle time and the beach (sort of - it's about a 10 minute drive or hour walk to it). Not sure if I would do 5 nights at IL though. Just me but I'd think 3 days would suffice.
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 07:04 AM

Last May we spent 3 nights at Iguana Lodge and 4 at Bosque del Cabo and loved the combo. (wish I could have stayed longer at BdC!) We specifically stayed at IL so that we could do the Golfo Dulce tours rather than wasting the time having to drive back out of BdC.

I would much prefer to stay at BdC versus going to Arenal, but the volcano region does give you an entirely different landscape and eco-system. Wildlife at Bosque is 10x better than at Arenal, IMO.

You really can't make a bad decision either way.
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 09:24 AM
RAC

Sounds like you'd want to stay at BdC.

However, if you do want a change of pace, the Arenal Observatory Lodge does have very good wildlife on its extensive grounds. We've seen kinkajou, coati, and even a jaguarundi there. Apparently there's also an ocelot family that likes to hang around.
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 09:52 AM

tully, does BdC charge to take you to the beach?
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. Luckily Bosque had space, so we'll be staying in Osa for our whole trip - splitting time between IL and Bosque. Very much appreciate the time and input.
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 11:12 AM

DML - great! Let us know when you get back how it went.

vg - yes, to drive I think it's about $10 or so? Maybe less? I've always been picked up (never dropped off, I walk down) and always come back with others, which they split the cost with.
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 11:17 AM

Thanks, t. Have a great trip, D!