Search

Things to see while driving San Jose to Puerto Viejo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things to see while driving San Jose to Puerto Viejo

Hi,
We've been on the fence about where to go in CR (see my earlier post) but are now leaning toward spending our week in Puerto Viejo. We'll be vacationing with our 2.5 year old, and since the drive there is long anyway thought it would be good to make it an adventure.

Does anyone have recommendations of a route to take or interesting side trips off the main road that give us an excuse to get out of the car and do something fun? I'm also wondering if we could make the Irazu volcano be on the way -- either to Puerto Viejo or back -- or maybe we should try and spend a night there.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Amy
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 03:23 AM

mapcr.com

hotelcasaturire.com Irazu super nice what I did to break up the monotony hotelplayawestfalia.com albylodge.com all make nice stops.PV druggy dodgy kind of a rasta vibe miltary check point for me to from where soldiers search car and try for shakedowns bribes sometimes so be careful. weather2travel.com lots of rain over there check climate guides avoid Limon one of the nastiest downtowns in CA.

Good luck!
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 05:20 AM

Not sure what time .you're driving, if you do stop though, just make sure you have time to get to your destination before it gets dark. You could make a lunch stop at Casa Turire.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 05:57 AM

There is a sloth rescue center near Cahuita on the main road. It's very interesting and educational to learn about the sloths they have rescued. Most have been zapped on power lines, hit by cars, etc. They have a nursery with baby sloths (so sweet!) and also a boat ride on the Estrella River.

http://www.slothsanctuary.com/sloth-rescue/