Search

Thanksgiving or Christmas - Caribbean or Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2008, 01:54 PM
JS1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanksgiving or Christmas - Caribbean or Mexico

Anyone know where the weather and water will be warmest? We aren't sure whether to go November or December - any suggestions?

We are flying from Atlanta and looking for a direct flight and probably a 4*hotel........

Thanks in advance - I hope!

Old Nov 4th, 2008, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you talking about this year??? It's a bit late to be booking for Thanksgiving or Christmas 2008.
The Southern Caribbean is nice and warm in December. Mexico is also wonderful at that time of the year.
Rates for resorts are almost double during the Christmas holidays.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 05:03 PM
JS1
Original Poster

I know it's late but we have to take what holiday we can and it is always last minute unfortunately, so..... yes this year!

Is there anywhere in particular in the Southern Caribbean you would recommend and the same for Mexico?

Old Nov 4th, 2008, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are you looking for? Do you want a big resort, small boutique, all inclusive, adults only, etc.
What is important to you...good beach, food, pools, culture, acitivities, etc.
Most of the Caribbean islands are still warm in December. The further south you go, the warmer it is.
We had a wonderful Christmas vacation at an all inclusive in Mexico's Riviera Maya a couple year ago. We've also enjoyed Christmas on several Caribbean cruises.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 05:01 AM
JS1
Original Poster

What are we looking; to spend between $6-8k including flights. Ideally the hotel should have the following:

Luxury but in a relaxed way - not stuffy!

The room should be a decent size - as we will need a crib - and have an ocean view.

Great room service - as our little boy will be going to bed early - hence a lovely room and balcony/terrace as we will be stuck in too!

A great beach and pool - kid friendly - but not over the top with activities and I am not keen on All Inclusives but maybe they have improved.....

I really don't think we will mind finding ourselves not wanting to leave the resort - we need a vacation!

A choice of restaurants or even a kitchen in the room with onsite deli but I would LOVE to have room service too.

I appreciate it will be crowded. We loved the look of the Four Seasons, Nevis but there is no availability and there are no non-stop flights to St Kitts at this time of year (that I could find anyway).

A fitness facility and spa.

Playground - maybe a neighbouring resort or somewhere on the island that would be fun to take our two year old if we ever venture out.

We will really just want to chill out, sleep, eat, swim at the pool and play on the beach - so no surf. Maybe do the odd bit of exercise.

Our little boy won't really play ball with us taking in much culture - as in sightseeing - so that's not so important this time round....

Really looking forward to any suggestions you may have....

Old Nov 5th, 2008, 06:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cancun has loads of nice resorts that would fit what you describe. Or Playa del Carmen down the coast a bit from Cancun.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 08:46 AM
JS1
Original Poster

Is Cancun horribly built up or are the areas on the outskirts which aren't so bad - would PV be better in this respect? Any resorts you can name?
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 09:27 AM

What about someplace in the USVIs? We thought St. John was beautiful.