Taxco Mexico

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taxco Mexico

Is there anyone who can tell me about Taxco.Where to eat and to stay.I want to stay near the center of town but the hotels don't seem to have airconditioning.Do I need it in July or is it pretty cool up there in the mountains. Whats the best shops for silver jewelry and has anyone one bought it wholesale? Is there any other crafts to buy and has anyone been to Market day?Is there any thing that i shouldn't miss in close proximity to Taxco?
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 04:07 PM

Your asking tons of things. Yes some places are far cheaper than others. You need shop to find them. You start at the top of the hill & work down. No A/C is not neccassary at over 7,000 feet, but a blanket a night is a must.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:28 AM

Just so you know the roads to get there are VERY windy so if anyone with you is prone to motion sickness, have them take their medication!! Charming town, though.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

I can't wait to go there.I'm going to buy some nice silver jewelry and maybe some silverware who knows. I hope theres some good places to eat.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 06:01 PM

Hadn't been for along time prior to last summer. As far as the roads being windy, the new highway is a big improvement- Anyway, we stayed at Los Arcos right down the hill from the Zocalo. Very nice, reasonable, I was impressed. For shopping, it seemed to me, anyway, the futher you radiated out from the center of town the cheaper the items got. Taxco ain't what it used to be, but still worth the trip.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips I was looking at that hotel and was wondering hoe it was.I will shop around. Is there any good places to eat?
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 08:42 AM

I would just walk around and find a place to your liking. Right down the hill from the Zocalo,with Santa Prisca on you righs is a place on the second floor- I think it was Del Angel, great view and great brekfast, I expect other meals would be good.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.We will try that place for breakfast before I head out shopping.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 04:21 PM

Taxco is very small so it's not like you have a lot of options for accomodations. We stayed at Hotel Aqua Escondida - www.aguaescondida.com - any taxi driver will know it.There's a pool, restaurant, free interent, pool tables, etc. right in the heart of the zocalo.

Taxco is for shopping particuarly pottery and silver, you'll have lots of choices, most are reputable.

Besides shopping, there's also the Grutas. Grutas are caves within a mountain approx 30min drive from Taxco. We booked a taxi with the hotel and it cost 375 pesos for a round trip taxi ride and for the driver waiting for us for 2 hours.

40 pesos to get in. There's a guided tour only in Spanish but tour basically consists of the guide tell you what he things the crystalized minerals that are formed look like....just like telling someone what you think the clouds in teh sky look like. Still cool.

From or to Mexico City approximatley 2 hours $88 pesos from Tasquena bus station.