Tauck or Overland in Galapagos?

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Lois

Tauck or Overland in Galapagos?

I am considering a trip to Galapagos and Macchu Pichu in the fall. I have had very good experience with Tauck tours but I am considering Overland also. Price is not the most important factor. Has anyone gone with Overland? Also, I am thinking of going in September. How about the weather?

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:45 AM
chris

I was in Galapagos and Macchu Pichu last September, weather was great, just some little rain in Peru, not too crowded on all sites, at the Galapagos, weather was overcast, one full day of rain, ocean water was cold, a wet suit needed. I was on the M.S. Tropic Sun
booked with Galatravel in Quito, I really enjoyed my trip of 5 days, I had done more excursions on my own days prior to the cruise, Hope it helps you.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 11:40 AM
Andy

i know some people who ent with Overland and were very siappointed. The boat apparently was not well balance, and there was water dripping on his head, so they couldn't run their air-conditioner in their stateroom. Tauck is wonderful and very reliable, and if you've enjoyed their trips in the past, I would go with them.

Other companies that do a great job in the Galapagos and Macchu Pichu are:
Lindblad Expeditions
A & K
Travcoa

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:13 PM
geri

You might want to look into Overseas Adventure Travel, who also has a great tour that includes Peru (with Machu Pichu) and the Galapagos. I did that one in May 2001 and it was great. OAT limits their tours to 16 participants, think we had only 12. Their web site is www.oattravel.com

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:02 AM
Judith

I spent a week in Galapagos two years ago. We arranged the trip after we arrived to Quito and got a very good deal for 5 days staying on land ; Santa Cruz and took the boat ( Delfin II in the mornings. Had we arranged it from the UK, the trip I am sure would have cost us a lot more. The weather was great ( no clouds) though very hot ( take high factor sunblock).