Swimming with the dolphins

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 09:12 AM
Jenny

Swimming with the dolphins

If you are coming to the Yucatan of Mexico then don't miss out on swimming with the dolphins in Dolphin Discovery! It would be best to make reservations at least one month before you go so you can get in for sure. There are locations in Cozumel, Puerto Aventuras and Isla Mujeres. Take a look at their website www.dolphindiscovery.com and make reservations soon! You will have the Experience of a Lifetime for sure!

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 09:34 AM
Kathy Goerke

What is the age limit on children to actually swim with dolphins?

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 09:53 AM
Jenny

Hi Kathy. The age limit for the Swim is 8 years old and for the Encounter it is 5 years old. In both of these kids under 12 have to be accompanied by an adult as well.

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 09:17 PM
pt

Even though dolphinariums take care of their dolphins, I urge you to reconsider participating in any program that keeps dolphins in captivity! There are numerous wonderful programs where you can visit the dolphins in their own, natural habitat!! Do you know the statistics on death, stillbirths, infertility, how they are captured and survival rate during capture?! Obviously this post was written by the company itself, but please, Mr and Mrs Public, do some research and patronize only places that keep dolphins free!! Thank you for listening.

Old Dec 23rd, 2000, 03:24 PM
Leila

STOP DOLPHIN SLAVERY!

PLEASE research how cruel and inhumane captive dolphin swims are before you do them. Here is a link from the Humane Society:

http://www.hsus.org/programs/wildlif...m_dolphin.html

And here is the website from a former dolphin trainer turned activist:

http://www.dolphinproject.org/

Old Dec 23rd, 2000, 03:38 PM
d motl

The Isla Mujeres swim is less hectic and less crowded. We have watched people swim with dolpins on many occasions and it looks like fun but I certainly can not see why it would be worth $125+. Maybe if someone was a good stock picker this year they can afford to do it.

Old Dec 25th, 2000, 06:42 AM
Tasha

I thought commercial solicitations were against Fodors rules!

Or maybe (hopefully) the public is finally wising up to these dolphin prisons and they have to go out spamming for business..

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 01:56 PM
mary

Yes, Jenny is soliciting. She's from Dolphin Discovery. (I saw someone mention her in another post). Shame on you! Not to mention it's inhumane and cruel treatment of our second closest species.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 09:32 AM
Lisette

I have been to dolphin discovery before and it was really wonderful to see how the dolphins are treated. I asked TONS of questions because I had my doubts before about doing this. But I would highly recommend for anyone to do this and not to listen to everyone against it as they do not know if they have never been there. If you don't know first hand about something then you should not bad mouth it. The dolphins are not in a pool, they are in the ocean and are very well taken care of. Please keep in mind of all the actual harm being done to other animals in this world and Dolphin Discovery is giving you the opportunity to be with dolphins and educate you about them. They are beautiful and very very intelligent. Take all this how you'd like, I just wanted to give my opinion.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 09:54 AM
Leila

As a previous poster against the captive dolphin swims, I should not have generalized that all captive dolphin swims as cruel. Yes, there are some dolphin swims that use dolphins that were born into captivity, or that have dolphins that are not able to return to the wild for medical reasons. Some are educational, but these are far and few..but there are so MANY that out right lie to their customers and tell them what they want to hear to make the customers feel better about the whole thing. There are no universal laws governing these dolphin swims, how do you truly know if what they are telling you is the truth? When will we impliment global laws regulating these places?

When does the cycle of being born into captivity end for the dolphins? Generation after generation of dolphins are born into captivity, so its OK to keep them captive?

To read the truth from someone who was actually doing the dolphin training surely will open many eyes to the entire practice of dolphin swims. The more people know the better:

So, if youre interested in the TRUTH, please see this website: www.dolphinproject.org

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 09:57 PM
pt

Dolphins were not met to be in captivity, period. Those born in captivity can never be released into the wild. Those captured in the wild rarely live a 'normal' dolphin life. They are used to eating live fish, they are fed dead fish. Their fertility rate decreases substantially and if they do give birth, there is an extremely high rate of stillbirths. They depend on sonar; how can that work effectively in captivity? Perhaps you would care to view a video of dolphins being captured? Feel free to email me directly and I would be more than happy to forward you studies done and a copy of the video. Do you think that dolphins 'perform' because they are just happy to do it? Do you see they are fed each time? Thus, food is withheld until they perform correctly. Until everyone is educated and know the true facts, these dolphinariums will continue to flourish (the prices to do these things are astounding!). No one has said that the dolphins are "mistreated" in their captive state; it is just not a natural home for them. And if you truely believe what the dolphinariums tell you, then they are accomplishing exactly what they are setting out to do - lure the tourists in and make a profit, at the expense of creatures that should live freely in the ocean. Thank you.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 09:59 PM
pt

PS. I have been to the dolphinarium (to observe) and of course, it is clean, the dolphins are 'well cared for' in their captive state. So yes, I do know the place that you are speaking of.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 07:07 AM
Kathy Goerke

What exactly is a "dolphin encounter?" My children are six years old and are accomplished swimmers who have been swimming since almost the time they were born. They are better swimmers than most 8 year olds I know, so why can't they swim with dolphins?

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 08:34 AM
JRinPV

A dolphin encounter is generally an attempt to interact with dolphins in the wild. They are not unfriendly mammals and, when finding people in the water with them, will sometimes interact but it's up to them. These excursions are often run by people with degrees in Marine Biology.
Hasta, JR

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 03:48 PM
pt

Most "dolphin encounters" are in pools with the dolphins. You do not actually swim with them but rather learn about them and observe them (in captivity). Less expensive than the Swim with the Dolphins. Excursions that go out with the dolphins in their own natural habitat only sometimes are able to "swim" with them, although not close and touching them, but being in the water nearby, if conditions permit.