Swim with dolphins-cancun

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 07:26 AM
sarah

Swim with dolphins-cancun

I would like to know the best place for swimming with dolphins (cost wise and time with dolphins, etc.) I've heard of La Isla and Wet 'n Wild park, anyone have advice?? I am going to Cancun (staying at gran caribe) Oct. 21 for a honeymoon!

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Nancy

Message: I would ask you to please reconsider the dolphin swim. They are incredibly cruel. I did it once and was sorry ever since. No matter how clean or nice it looks, more than half of the dolphins die within 60 to 90 days of capture.
In order to make an informed decision, please visit:

http://dolphinproject.org/

http://www.hsus.org/ace/11727

(The second site is the Humane Society of the United States' position on SWTD programs.)

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Susan

Please don't swim with dolphins in captivity. There's alot on the internet (and elsewhere) about how ugly this practice is. Please do some research and hopefully you will reconsider.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Dave

Nancy and Susan - Have you ever been to a zoo? I believe you will find that these species are also there against their will. So, in addition to protecting dolphins, there are lots more animals/birds that you can campaign for. Good Luck!!!

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Freethe Dolphins

here is a web site www.dolphinproject.org done by Flippers Trainer. Read about the capture, what's new, read how the industry works.
Then decide if you want to fill up some one's wallet at the animals expense.

I don't support Zoo's either but the question was about swim with the Dolphins not about the Zoo.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 11:42 AM
ann

Seconding the others; please don't support this cruelty with your $$$. Zoos can be awfully cruel too, but why use that excuse (zoos are bad too, so why not go swim with the dolphins...) 2 wrongs don't make a right...
ann

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Laurie

Some of you are against zoos? Holy cow this is a bit extreme. My children have come to love animals and have a respect and appreciation for the animal kingdom thanks to zoos. I don't want to start some huge argument here - just my "two cents".

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Bernice

I agree with you Laurie. I don't want to sound insensitive but I think hating zoo's is a little to much for me.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 02:20 PM
ann

Nevertheless,
haven't you ever been to a zoo where you feel sorry for the apes or elephants because they seem absolutely bored out of their skulls and are stuck are stuck in tiny surroundings...No,
Not all zoos are bad, but they're not all good either.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Susan

Nobody asked about zoos. The question was about swimming with dolphins in CAPTIVITY. Please take the time, read up and you will find out about how much the lifespan of the dolphin is shortened by these awful situations.

There are many boat trips where you can WATCH dolphins up close in their natural habitat ~~ the wild!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 04:40 PM
x

ttt

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 03:12 PM
another - please don't

"THE DARK SIDE OF SWIMMING WITH FLIPPER" http://abcnews.go.com/sections/2020/..._dolphins.html

Live Video of the Cruel Treatment of Dolphins

A web page dedicated to the Dolphins: http://www.dolphinproject.org

Click on WHAT'S NEW FOR LATEST UPDATES