surfing cheap for 1 month

Old Apr 4th, 2004, 01:12 PM
mad
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
surfing cheap for 1 month

my fiancee and I are in between jobs and want to take a month to just chill on the beach and learn to surf. we were in costa rica in february and loved it. it seems like the best surfing and cheapest way to go. any advice on where to go/stay on a small budget would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 04:29 PM

Check out Mal Pais Surf Camp. Also look at Santa Teresa (side by side with Mal Pais so that they seem like the same place!). www.santateresa.co.cr

Also you might look into a place called Frank's Place right on the corner where you turn left to Mal Pais beach and right to Santa Teresa Beach.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 06:33 PM
mad
Original Poster

wow, santa teresa looks perfect. we're going in june. do you know anything about the weather there that time of year? also, anything else you can tell me about that surf camp would be greatly appreciated- is it near town, restaurants, etc? thanks!
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 02:54 PM

We drove all along the coast between Mal Pais and Sta. Teresa. It is all fairly compact. Strung out, but compact, if that makes sense. Sta. Teresa has more going on as far as a "town" along that main road. We saw all of the places including Mal Pais Surf Camp, and we also noticed some tent camping. I assume you would prefer lodging however! There are all kinds of little places along the road (and off the beach) and most of the surfers stayed in these because we would see them walking along that road with their boards. I know those cabinas are inexpensive. You will pay a little more to be right on the beach, of course. It is a beautiful area. .fairly deserted, drop dead sunsets.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 02:56 PM

Oops, forgot about the weather. We've only been to that area once during the rainy season. June is at the beginning, so I think you won't have to worry too much about that. It won't affect your mornings, perhaps just a brief shower in the mid afternoon. We aren't surfers, but we watched and they tended to come out early in the morning and return again after 4:00. Don't worry about rain.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 10:03 PM

Do a search on surfin' El Salvador if you can think for yourself.