Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

suggestions of what to do in Puerta Vallarta in the rain??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to PV next week, and the forecast says it will be raining. He has never been there, and I haven't been for 12 years or so. Does anyone have any ideas of interesting things to do, other than shopping? We are in our late 50's. Thanks!
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 03:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It won't be raining 24/7 in Puerto Vallarta. I guarantee it. You don't need to be making alternate plans. The forecasts are notoriously inaccurate. When they say rain, it could be a brief thunderstorm in the middle of the night, or a drizzle late in the afternoon. February is usually a fantastic month for the weather there, so unless a major storm freakishly blows thru, this won't be a problem (certainly not of vacation-ruining magnatude anyway).
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 03:32 PM

But to answer the question, IF it happens... you can still go to the beach. There's umbrellas and palapas you can sit under. It's still warm even when it rains. Lots of restaurants and bars are open air, so you can duck in for a snack or a drink and watch the goings-on. Go to the movies in Spanish. Watch the novellas (soaps) in Spanish on the TV in your hotel room. Go shopping at Rizo's grocery store (or which ever store's closest to you).
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks suze! You confirmed my thoughts about the weather, ie not raining 24/7, so we will be prepared for at least some rain. Also, we are staying at the Sheraton, but are thinking of switching to the Westin after reading the beaches are so overrun with agressive vendors, also lots of time share hawkers there. I know the Westin dosn't have a beach but is close to the marina, so maybe that would be good for shopping if it rains??? Any thoughts?
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 06:05 AM

I have always stayed down on the "south-side", past downtown. So sorry don't know the difference between Sheraton or Westin. They are both nice resorts, certainly. Sherton's a lot closer to town, Westin is in the Marina. I'd stick wtih the Sherton myself, because of location. But it that doesn't matter (going into town for restaurants, shopping, etc.) the Marina is very good too.

Try not to let the beach vendors get to you. Personally I enjoy them. Just say "no gracias" with a smile & little wave of your hand. Or better yet buy 1 thing & wear it, and tell the others you already bought something. (I learned to say in Spanish "only one per day" which made everyone laugh.) Vendors are just hardworking local people.

Now timeshare I feel entirely differently about and will not even talk to. Just walk on by or firmly say you aren't interested and don't let yourself be drawn into any kind of conversation.

I don't know about shopping in the Marina. Personally I'd head downtown (el Centro) looking for things to do on a rainy day. There's a couple small museums, the church (with the crown on the top) is nice to visit, things like that.

Jan/Feb is NOT the rainy season, it's typically VERY nice, gorgeous actually. So unless something unusual is going on, you'll be OK.

(The rainy season in Vallarta is summer months, Jul/Aug/Sep are the wettest.)
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 06:52 AM

You main mistake is in believing the weather forecasts, I see the predictions and they say a 20% chance of precipitation, which means an 80% chance it won't rain at all !
This year, especially, the weather has been different, certainly made me a Global Warming believer. Up to about 4 years ago, Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr were totally rain free.
The silver lining is that it keeps the dust down and the mountains green.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 07:25 AM

Unfortunately the forecasts have been more accurate of late with on & of rain along a large swath of Mexico's Pacific coast. But as Suze says it with not be a 24/7 thing.
On my first trip to PV a couple of hundred years ago on a rainy day I jumped a bus riding to Tepic looking around & then returning to PV. A most interesting day & my first of hundreds of Mexican bus trips.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 08:39 AM

You might want to pack a travel umbrella? It will be too warm to wear a jacket or plastic poncho or whatever, so I think an umbrella works best if you want to be out & about & it happens to downpour.

Or just duck into a bar, cafe, or restaurant and have a drink or bite to eat!
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies! It's all good information. We decided to stay at the Sheraton after all, due to the closer location to the centro. And Stewbear, thanks for reminding me about Tepic.Back in the dark ages I also used to do that sort of thing, and did visit Tepic once(maybe it was raining in PV??) We'll have fun no matter what the weather brings.