Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Is Puerto Vallarta a good choice for next week?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have 10 days off right after 4th of July. We'd like to go somewhere for 4-5 days, I was thinking of Puerto Vallarta or the Caribbean. Would love your advice on whether it's safe to be in Puerto Vallarta (we've avoided Mexico all together for the last couple of years), and if next week would be affected by hurricanes. Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 07:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know about PV in July, but we went in Sept. a few years back and it was miserable. If it's rainy, and it probably will be, I'd avoid it. When it rains, the rivers and streams around PV dump a bunch of mud, trash, and other debris right into the bay. It's also probably gonna be really humid. I wouldn't worry about safety unless you're going to Juarez. You're probably safer most anywhere in Mexico than you would be in Miami.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 06:12 AM

When it rains, it's usually for only a couple of hours late in the day or at night. The bay is huge and the run-off from the rivers is only around the river mouths, it dissipates after a short distance.
Safety is not an issue here.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 06:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been in Puerto Vallarta in June my last three trips there. I love it in the summer time. Yes it's hot and some days it might rain but usually in the evening or night. I think it's a great idea for a last minute trip! Local people are very friendly and it has a lively downtown scene of the Malecon (seawall promonade), loads of great restaurants, cafes, bar, art galleries, shopping, etc..

Safety is not an issue in PV. It's well known for it's welcome of tourists.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your advice. Suze, is there any particular area to stay so we'll be close to shopping, restaurants, etc? Or is PV pretty small? I'll probably pick a last minute package from Expedia and we won't get a car so we'll just relax and hang out in PV and walk everywhere.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 04:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Puerto Vallarta is quite large and spread out. If you want to be walking distance you want something downtown ("Centro") or the south-side ("Zona Romantica"). Or at least in the Hotel Zone.

You can find great maps at www.vallarta-info.com to give you an idea the lay-of-the-land. From the airport to the south-side is about a 25 mins. taxi ride, to give you perspective when you see the maps.

If you want to post the hotels you're considering from Expedia, I'll tell you which ones are central and walking distance to everything.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Suze, we've reviewed our options and have decided to skip a 4-5 trip and to save the money to do a proper trip (Caribbean cruise, 1st time cruising for us) in a few months. If I ever to go Puerto Vallarta, I'll know whom to ask. :} Now I have to research on when to go, which cruise ship, which part of the Caribbean, so I'll be hanging out in that forum.

Thanks so much. Take care.