Suggestions for a Girls' Weekend Getaway?

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 01:34 PM
afindley

Suggestions for a Girls' Weekend Getaway?

Message: For several years, every winter (February/March) we old college friends have gone somewhere for a long weekend to get away from jobs, husbands, kids!
This year we have all agreed on criteria for a destination, but are not sure where to start looking. Any ideas? We are looking for:
1. Someplace hot with sand-Caribbean or Mexico. Not a mega-touristy or cruise ship destination.
2. Snorkeling would be nice.
3. We are using Delta frequent flyer miles. Don't want to spend more than 4 hours in a plane - we're flying from Atlanta, GA.
3. Since we're married girls - no place that's all couples, but no hot singles, pick up spots either.
4. Moderately priced accomadations, food, drink...by the way, restaurants and bars that aren't just at the hotel (no AIs).
5. Shopping's not important - we just want to veg and drink. We went to Disney and Universal last year (no, we're not 16, we're actually in our early 30s!) and loved it, but we don't want to run at full speed this year.
We have been to St. John and loved that, but were thinking about trying some place new. I hope we're not looking for the impossible destination.
Thanks for any advice!

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 10:48 AM
leslie

My recommendation would be the mexican riviera. Playa del Carmen would be great. Great beaches and good snorkeling. Maybe stay down in Akumal or Tulum. We just got back from there and loved it. We just hung at beaches, snorkeled, and drank lots of margaritas. The bars on the beaches down that way are great.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Patty

I would second leslie's advice. There are lots of smaller beach communities along the Yucatan coast that are not terribly touristy. We love Akumal especially. If that is too quiet for you, you may want to consider Playa Del Carmen. Grear snorkeling and diving in this region too. Other than that and considering that you've already been to the USVI, I can't think of anywhere else that you could fly directly on Delta from ATL that fits your criteria.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 12:49 PM
amy

What about Cozumel? I have the same question and was wondering whether anyone knows if that would fit the bill?

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Mandy

There are 7 of us "gals" going to Playa del Carmen in October also. It's a quieter more laid back place than Cancun. Cozumel has too many cruise ships in the fall and they just invade the town when they dock. It can be crazy.

Playa or some of the smaller communities around there would best fit your criteria I think.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 05:40 PM
dmotl

Isla Mujeres -- a small island off Cancun would fit your description in every way.
Visit isla-mujeres.net

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Skateboard Phil

If you like St. John, you'll love St. Barth - fines island in the Caribbean...bar none. Very safe for the gals. Buzz me if you'd like suggestions on dining , accomodations, beaches etc.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 09:48 AM
suze

A second on DMOTL's suggestion --- where else should the girls go but to Isla Mujeres (= island of women) !!!

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Janelle

Hi! I just got back from 8 days in Cancun with a bunch of my old college friends and we are all in our late 20's, early 30's too. It was a great vacation! Very relaxing during the day and a great nightlife! As cheesy as all of the tourist bars sound - they were lots of fun and they do a great job of catering to the 'good looking' woman! I would suggest it!