STUPID AMERICAN!

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:51 AM
xxx

STUPID AMERICAN!

I am planning on visiting the riviera maya and would like to know a little spanish before I go. I would just like to know the language in general also. Does anyone have any recomendations as to what books or tapes are best for beginners?

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 09:52 AM
hearing it is best

Is there a community college near you? I have (several times) taken an 8 week class. I think tapes are better than books at the beginning because it's the pronunciation, or 'accent' or developing 'your ear' as people say of any new language that is so important. I also picked up alot watching any kind of television programs in Spanish.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 02:54 PM
TC

A fun book on vacation Spanish is "Spanish for Gringos" by Wm. Harvey. It is part of the Barron's Educational Series book. The thin softback edition cost $8.95 in the US ISBN# 0-8120-4434-7

The nice part about this book is that it starts by teaching you how much Spanish you already know and use and might not realize.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 09:26 AM
B.W.

I can't recommend the Pimsleur series of audio lessons highly enough for a beginner. Look on Amazon and you'll find the Spanish intro, ten 30 minute lessons, for about $14. The full Spanish I is about $225. Pimsleur is the ONLY one I've tried out of about a dozen that a beginner can understand and work with. Get the intro even if you use something else later. Learn in your Car Spanish is a good series too, but as with all OTHER than Pimsleur, the beginner will find it difficult to follow and learn.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 07:39 AM
Kris

You could try the web site www.studyspanish.com they have words and phrases you can practice for free.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 12:16 PM
CeCe

The Learning Company has an excellent interactive CDrom called Learn to speak Spanish. I found it very useful in combination with other books etc.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:48 AM
margo

"stupid American". I too speak only English and wish I knew some other language. When travelling to Mexico catch phrases will help you out. A good web site is www.debbiesdominicantravel.com (she has 4 pages of useful phrases and words which you can print out for yourself (FREE)

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Tom

Try Fodors home page under resoures then languages (left side of page)