Study in Quito

Old Aug 16th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Study in Quito

Hello,
I am looking to study in Quito and am trying to decide what school to study in and where to stay. I am single so would like to stay somewhere that would be close to the nightlife, bars and restuarants etc. Is there a part of Quito that is better for this ???

Thanks in Advance
Jeff
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 11:01 AM

Posted September 27, 2008 08:18 PM
I have taken Spanish classes at two places in Quito that both have different approaches and could be good depending on what you are looking for and since there are a bunch of different schools out there I thought IŽd throw in my two cents about the ones I know.

The place where I have studied recently is The Secret Garden Spanish School which is connected to The Secret Garden Hostal. It has a variety of options that concern the amount of hours, homestays, etc and have a staff of teachers who cater pretty much to travellers. They are good at taking you through the basics of what you would need to travel and then building on what you use towards expanding your conversational spanish. Classes are held on the fifth story terrace of The Hostal and it is a relaxed learning atmosphere.

Last fall I took four hours of spanish a day at The Yanapuma Foundation which also offers volunteer projects. The School has a highly thought out method and is great if you have the time and the will to wrestle with the language. The lessons tend to move quickly and build on each other so that you are constantly grasping at things you thought would take you days to learn in a few hours. Since things are one to one you tend to pick up a lot and spend a ton of time trying to sort things out after each class.

I have been reccomending trying The Secret Garden Spanish School for a week to get a feel for what you would like to learn and get a grasp for basic travel spanish and if you feel like you would like to make more progress than what you are learning then give Yanapuma a shot.. Both are worth it in their own way!

If you are interested in classes at The Garden and would like me to arrange them for you email me at [email protected].. If you are interested in classes at Yanapuma you can email me as well and I will get you in contact with them as well..

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. It is a big help.

Cheers
Jeff
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 11:46 AM

Jeff,
no problem and let me know if you need contact names etc.. And when you get here look me up.. I also work as a bartender in Quito!!
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 11:38 AM

If you are interested in taking Spanish language lesson in Quito, I can recommend a very good private tutor. There are many Spanish language schools and tutors in Quito. It is hard to know how to select a good teacher or school. I would like to recommend Señora Alba Abad whose web site is http:\\www.spanishconalba.com She provides one-on-one tutoring for normally 4 hours per day at a very reasonable rate (comparable to the fee for classroom instruction). She will also arrange a homestay with a Quito family which effectively doubles your Spanish exposure. Her studio is located off the main avenue, 10 de Agosto which is walking distance from the Mariscal district.

Alba is a very gifted teacher who has been giving language instruction for over 20 years. She has the ability to identify immediately a student's abilities and needs. She focuses on building both grammatical and practical skills every day. I was amazed at how fast my Spanish improved over a two week period with her. Like many of her other students, I plan to return to Quito and continue my studies with her.

regards, Bill