still need your help- driving Liberia to Arenal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've posted this before but didn't get any responses. Has anyone driven from Liberia Airport to Arenal in the past year? What were the road and signage like? My husband and 2 of our college aged kids arrive at 7 pm at the Liberia Airport and TriColor told him it was an easy 2.5 hour drive. But it will be dark so I'd like to hear from someone who has actually driven it. We are experienced travelers who have driven all over Europe, but this is our first time in CR.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 04:56 AM

It's not a difficult drive. We did it in February of '06. I know you take the Pan American highway and follow signs for the volcano. We have a good map but it's at home and I'm currently at work. I remember making a wrong turn once or twice but we caught it within the first two minutes so it wasn't bad. You'll pass a large energy farm with lots of windmills. We made a detour and drove up to see them.

The drive around the lake takes a while and the road has quite a few potholes but you'll be fine.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 04:58 AM

Oh, forgot to mention, when you rent your car ask them for a map outlining the route. They should have one to give you. From the airport, you'll have to drive into the town of Liberia and then make a right onto the Pan American Highway (if my memory serves me right.)
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:41 AM

You follow the Inter American Highway South and then you'll see signs for Arenal. From the Inter American the road gets bumpy. I would (and did by 2nd time to CR) get a map at home before you go. I got a fold out map in Borders Books which was much better then the one they give you at the car rental place.

I also wouldn't drive at night. I did a few times but it was in an area with much better roads. If I were you I would plan to get a hotel (there is a Best Western 2 miles from TriColor) then leave early the next morning.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:56 AM

Oooops, somehow I missed the sentence about arriving at night. I totally agree with Naplo999 that you should not drive at night. Not a good idea since you won't be able to read the signs.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:33 PM

easy drive, slow and windy.I wouldn't drive it at night you'll miss the signs.During the day you can at least see the volcano.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 05:23 PM

Agree with the others--leave it until morning. You'll need the daylight for this drive!