staying in guadalajara/tlaquepaque

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(my apologies to anyone who read this post on another site; i'm just very enthusiastic and wanted to pass this on!)

my wife and i just returned from a 5 day stay in guadalajara, for a family reunion. we stayed at Casa del Retono in tlaquepaque, a gorgeous colonial town/neighborhood that has been absorbed by the ever-expanding guadalajara: http://www.lacasadelretono.com.mx/ it was a WONDERFUL experience!! luis and elsye, our hosts, were wonderful and charming, making our stay very, very comfortable. like other b&b's in the tlaquepaque area, this place is gorgeous and done in the traditional/colonial/artesan style. all the rooms are beautiful and the patio and garden areas are stunning. we paid $60 a night for the two of us, which included all taxes and breakfast every morning (continental). our hosts speak english, in case you don't! and it is situated a mere 3 blocks from the renowned Parian plaza in downtown tlaqauepaque, where you can shop for beautiful crafts and artwork, leather goods, pottery, etc, as well as eat delicious meals day and night and take in folks out for their paseo, or stroll, every night. and downtown guadalajara is a 15minute ride away! any of you worried about security/safety should put your fears to rest, as this part of guadalajara is very safe and peaceful. you can be out strolling at any time of the day or night, along with the rest of tlaquepaque! this tranquility and safety is especially exemplified by our hosts at Casa del Retono who make you feel completely at home while there. please check it out! very highly recommended!!
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 10:17 AM

thanks for the post. We spent a few days in Guadalajara several years ago and went to Tlaquepaque to the Bustamonte Gallery. Did you eat at the restauraun with no name..just the black doors Fell into Lily Puelo the famous Mexican dress designer and still have to this very day two hand done caftans. One of our purchases was a "rain stick" and a beautiful dish which I still use and the best part is that many of these treasures were behind the doors of the old haciendas.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 06:26 AM

it sure! sounds like a WONDERFUL hotel!!to stay at in tlaquepaque! with everything just perfect! and all being gorgeous!! and stunning! but i wonder? since this is your first! post that it is an shill!! post which is not! appreciated on fodors. can anything be so idyllic!!?
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

i didn't even get a chance to see your response until this afternoon. i don't quite know what your problem is, but my guess is that you're a bitter, incomplete individual. perhaps you, in your infinite expertise and intution, feel justified in being an a**hole because you think this is a shill posting (you would know, of course.....) i got news for ya, "berry": my posting was real and sincere. i happen to be from that area originally, and hadn't been back in nearly 10 years, so my bias towards it is readily apparent. i guess a native's perspective is not appreciated, according to you. our stay was indeed wonderful and idyllic for many reasons, most of which are frankly none of your business. what you do need to know is that our experience was wonderful and complemented in a very, very big way by our accomodations and our hosts, with whom we have no affilitiion or agreement, except that we enthusiastically offered to let others know just how much we loved our stay there. THAT is what this site is for: the candid exchange of travel information in the hopes of enlightening those who might seek to travel to certain destinations and obtain some feedback. you are clearly enlightened enough, so i don't know why you're here. perhaps it's to to tell others that fodor's doesn't appreciate "shill" postings. that's likely correct, although you are hardly the one to dictates those terms, especially in light of your most tasteless response (do work for fodor's or something? what's your reason for being here??) way to go in encouraging first-timers to post their feedback, "berry" or whatever your name is!! please. who do you think you are? get a life.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 01:17 PM

I appreciated your post, Televasquez. I've heard the same rave reviews about this hotel so it's silly of anyone to suspect your motives were anything other than just to share your experience with others who are interested.
Please don't let that prevent you from posting enthusiastic reviews of hotels.
Casa del Retono sounds terrific. I'm going to Guadalajara soon, too, but will stay inside Guadalajara (want to be within walking distance of the sights) at the Hotel deMendoza. Hope it's a good choice!