St Thomas or Costa Rica Help?

Jul 28th, 2019, 12:31 AM
Original Poster

St Thomas or Costa Rica Help?

Help, can anyone guide me on which holiday would work best. We are wanting to go somewhere a bit warmer in December leaving from LA and have looked at Caribbean (NO CRUISING) or Costa Rica so far. We like hiking, swimming, snorkeling, adventure activities on land mostly but love a bit of water. I heard you have to be careful where you go in Caribbean and also that some of the places have been wiped out with a hurricane a couple of years ago so not sure if St. Thomas would be an option or not?
Please tell me your opinion on this or Costa Rica open to ideas. Thanks in advance.
Jul 28th, 2019, 05:30 AM

Since you like hiking and adventure activities, I would suggest Costa Rica. Great hiking, zip lines, decent snorkeling, etc.
Jul 28th, 2019, 09:35 AM

I would look at Belize as well. Lots of adventures inland (caves, canoeing, Mayan ruins, etc) and the barrier reef offshore.
Jul 28th, 2019, 11:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Belize sounds fun too I'll look into it.
Jul 29th, 2019, 06:23 AM

If you love water, snorkeling, etc. Belize is a good fit. We loved staying on Ambergris. There's wonderful snorkeling at Hol Chan. Costa Rica is great for hiking and wildlife. St. Thomas is very developed and felt pretty Americanized to us; we preferred some of the quieter islands like St. John.
Jul 30th, 2019, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. You sound like you've been to St. John recently, was it o.k. in terms of thehurricanes it had a few years ago?
Jul 31st, 2019, 09:03 AM

K, we haven't been that recently, so hopefully someone else can give you the latest updates.
Jul 31st, 2019, 04:20 PM

Doesn't sound as if St. John has bounced back. I agree, have a look at Belize if you're okay with going off of a boat.

https://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/p...john-usvi.html