Spring Break and Hotels

Old Dec 3rd, 1999, 07:42 AM
Ryan

Spring Break and Hotels

I am a 19 year old college student who will be traveling to Cancun for Spring Break next semester. I have currently booked a vacation through American Airlines for my roommate and myself. We are flying first class and staying on the club floor at the Camino Real.

My question is this: The information from American Airlines about the hotels in Cancun is that no students or spring-breakers are allowed. Is this rule stead-fast? We're just two guys going down to Cancun to relax and party. Since we are paying for first class airfare and staying at a nice hotel, are they more apt to let us stay? What if we promise deposits, etc.? I would hate to get down to Mexico and have them tell us we can't stay there...but I don't want to risk calling because when we get down there and are standing in the lobby it is less likely they'll so no. Any comments are welcome!!

Thanks,
Ryan

Old Dec 3rd, 1999, 08:25 AM
Ryan

Almost forgot...could anyone please share their experiences with the Camino Real? Also possibly considering other 5 star hotels other than the Ritz-Carlton (they cleraly state one must be 25).

Thanks a million,
Ryan

Old Dec 3rd, 1999, 05:23 PM
Diane

I don't think anyone will turn you away if you've already given them a credit card to confirm your hotel. As long as it is just two guys, and not two guys who bring home their sixteen friends to "sleep" on the floor...in other words, party on the beach, in the clubs, in the pools, but not in the room! Half the hotels in Cancun are filled with Spring Breakers, so I don't know where the rumor about no students got started. It may be they are trying to tone down the image a bit, but I'll bet MTV is there all the same. You don't think those throngs of students are sleeping on the beach?

Old Dec 3rd, 1999, 05:29 PM
Diane

...on the otherhand, if the Ritz Carlton is specific about age, I'd believe it. You might try asking a travel agent...if your laying out premium dollars, they will want to make sure you won't run into any unexpected problems. It won't cost you any extra.

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 12:14 PM
Josh

I'm wondering the same thing!!

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 02:58 PM
dave

you really dont want to stay at one of the 5 star hotels... because you probably wont be hanging out there.

you want to be at a hotel where there ARE spring breakers... the reason why? because the pool will be much better to hang out at - there will be activities and lots of people watching. if you stay at the ritz you'll be sitting poolside with people old enough to be your parents... and you'll end up taking a taxi to a hotel where everything is happening.

you might want to check out this website... www.globaldance.ca

i dont have any affiliation with them but if you're going to be in cancun in march, those are the promoters for what will be the biggest parties in cancun at the time (daytime and night).

dave

Old Dec 9th, 1999, 09:23 AM
Jenn

Ryan, I too am going down to Cancun for Spring Break. My friends and I booked our trip through a "Spring Break" travel agent. Our whole package is Spring Break oriented. We have drink specials and parties and so on. It is the #1 international destination for college kids. MTV (as mentioned in a previous post) was located in Cancun last year and they are looking at possibly going to Cancun again this year. I'm wondering if the package you got isn't targeted for older people, who are not interested in Spring Break. Is the hotel clos to the airport or the south-end of Cancun? This is where non-SB people stay to get away from the crazy hotel zone. ENJOY! I know we will.

Old Dec 9th, 1999, 06:48 PM
Ryan

We did not book our vacation through the a Spring Break company. Most of them put their travelers on charters and stay in sometimes (only sometimes) hotels that are not of the best quality.

We are flying first class and wanted to stay at a more private place. Hell, we've got the money so why not? We did, however, opt to go to Puerto Vallarta instead. March weather in Cancun can leave a lot to be desired. Also, we're looking for something more than an extension of Miami.

To each his own...I know that we'll have fun...we'll party in PV...found out age is not a problem at our hotel there...and we're sure to get lots of sun

Enjoy your trip!!
Ryan