Special dinner spot to celebrate 40th at/near Paradisus Playa Conchal

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaving in two weeks for 8 day trip with my wife (who is turning 40!) and kids ages 9 &11. Doing 2 nights Peace Lodge, 2 nights Tabacon and remaining at Paradisus Playa Conchal. Would love to have a celebration dinner on last night. Have Royal Service at Paradisus. Do I let them plan something special or can someone recommend a unique place off site. Thanks-
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:28 AM

My husband and I just got back from the Paradisus and loved it. They had a group of women that had gone down and one of the was having a birthday celebration and they baked her a special cake and presented it to her at the a la carte restaurant and they all seemed to be having a great time.
We didn't do the Royal Service but everyone that we met that had it said it was worth it. I am sure they would look after your needs as they went out of there way to help everyone. Canadagal
Old May 6th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

thanks canadagal. Did you go off-site for dinner anywhere that you would recommend? Hate to spend all that money and not eat there so the cake thing just might do the trick-
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:16 AM

We stayed at the resort for dinner every night but did some tours and had lunch included in them so did experience some local costa rican meals. They were basic meals but good. I did the Buena Vista Mega tour (without my husband as he needs to have shoulder surgery) and we both did the Palo Verde National Park tour where we went on a boat to see the different birds, crocadiles, bats and monkeys. We also did the sunset cruise that is included with your all inclusive but book it on the day you arrive as you can't go on it for a couple of days. You might not be there long enough to do it. Also we went to the Monkey Park. It was also included and the guide is Walter for the tour. It is a great tour for your kids to do. My kids would have loved it. It is a rescue center and all of the money that they make from the t-shirts etc. goes back to the animals. They also were good deals so you could pick up some souvenirs. There wasn't any pressure to buy anything if you didn't want too. They also had alot of different animals not just monkeys.
Canadagal
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:44 AM

You'll have to forgive the spellings... My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon which we started at Paradisius. Definitely upgrade to the Royal Service. I thought we had booked it and was very disappointed that we had not. Totally different level of service and we were very pleased after we upgraded.

This was our third trip to the area. Just down the road from Paradisius in Brasilito is a beach side restaraunt called Camerones Dorado or Golden Shrimp. They will seat you beachside, wash your hands, play music at your table and put a flower in your wifes hair. Pretty good food at very reasonable prices. My wife and I never miss a visit there (probably 5 time in three years). Get a reservation for about 5:30 to 6:00 to catch the sunset. And most importantly, they will send a van to the resort to pick you up and take you back.

For a really upscale meal that is great by American standards (and pricey as well) there is a very nice restaraunt at the top of the hill in Flamingo call Marisol. The owner is a Euro ex-pat and really serves up elegant cuisin. Beautiful views from the hilltop, outstanding wine selection and superb service.

The RS guys at Paradisius know these places and can make reservations and in the case of Merisol, can arrange transportation.

For a fun lunch spot out of the Paradisius compound, there is the Happy Snapper in Brasilito. There is also a very good local restaraunt at the bend in the road as you enter the main beach access to Flamingo. Can't remeber the name but really good local fare. And finally, we made a special trip to Maries in Flamingo (about 100 yards past the bridge) to have lunch before going up to the Four Seasons in Papagayo for the rest of our honeymoon.

Enjoy!

no longer "cabana boy!"
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the tips! The Golden Shrimp sounds great and a good possibility. We plan to run ragged and squeeze all our tours, etc. in the first half of the trip so we are kinda playing things by ear for that last leg. By that point our kids may not want to get into another transportation van until it's time to leave! I plan to connect with the RS people upon arrival and see what they recommend too. Thanks again! Counting down the days!
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:44 PM

So glad I read your report more carefully! I was thinking in terms of anniversary, not birthday, and was marveling at the fact that someone married that long had 2 kids ages 9 and 11! LOL! Nothing wrong with me!!!

Just want to add my dos colones regarding Camaron Dorado--truly a special place. Also like the other places to which you have been referred. All good recs for you.

Have a great trip and a special BIRTHDAY night! What a great way to turn 40!
Old May 13th, 2006, 12:49 AM

kcshoe: I have a question for you please. Or anyone for that matter that might be able to answer.

How are you getting from each destination you are staying at? If you don't mind me asking. We pretty much want to do the same thing you are doing, but we were actually going to stay at Paradisus Playa Conchal the whole week...and just take tours to the area's we wanted to explore. You're way seems to be a whole lot better. We hate the idea of renting a car. So that is why I asked how you were getting from each destination. We are going in July.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Wenchie
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

MsWench- Seems like you, I agonized and planned for a full year to find the best itinerary. Travelling in a foreign country with kids, I felt the best option was to hire a driver. I ended up booking my entire vacation through vacationcity.com (Luis was really helpful). You can probably do just transportation through them or many people on the boards have recommended different transportation people. To give you an idea, here is a rundown of our transportation costs for 2adults and 2 kids:

SanJose Airport to Peace Lodge: $68
Peace Lodge to Tabacon: $135
Tabacon to Paradisus: $180
Paradisus to Liberia Airport: $150 (I think)

For us, it is worth it to have the peace of mind and worth it to take the stress out of maps, rental cars, etc.

Our plan is to do all our tours and sightseeing the first half and then just chill the last few days. I think this itinerary is a good marriage of the best of both worlds. By far, Paradisus is the most expensive stay. Why stay at an AI and be gone most of the days travelling to other spots? If you have anymore questions, I'd be glad to help where I can-

Old May 13th, 2006, 04:50 AM

We've rented a car each time we've been to CR and with exception to the last, have been able to justify the expense. First trip we flew into San Jose and stayed for a couple of days and then drove to Flamingo. We used the car a little to get out to some of the towns and had drivers for night excursions.

The second trip the rental(s) really came in handy as we flew into Liberia on seperate flights (8 total friends) and got to Flamingo a seperate times. We had a couple of days fishing booked in Tamarindo for the guys and the girls used the other car to get out to various towns while we were fishing. We also dropped off the rentals in Liberia on the way to Tabacon Hot Springs and let a driver get us the rest of the way as well as back to the Liberia Airport.

This last trip was kind of a waste as we never left Paradisius except for when the Golden Shrimp driver picked us up and when we drove to Flamingo for lunch prior to departing to the Four Seasons. Once at the Four Seasons we never ventured out of the resort (and to this day wish we hadn't... ever!)

Total cost each trip for full sized 4X4's was about $400. One very important note (or two). After the first trip from San Jose to Flamingo, it was a huge relief to have someone else navigate the potholes, goats, motorcycles and other traffic on the longer distance trip from Flamingo to Arenal. Additionally, since last year the road from Liberia Airport to Flaming/Conchal/Tamarindo has had all the pavement removed- driving is veeeerry slow and bumpy once you get off of Hwy 21 (1 hour as opposed to 20 minutes). Our big 4X4 was OK but I would have much prefered looking out the window while someone else stared down the ruts and navigated through the dust.
Old May 13th, 2006, 03:53 PM

kcshoe, thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I appreciate it. I am checking out the web sight you referred to so hopefully they will be able to help me as well with my transportation. There is just the two of us but I still like you, I did not want to deal with maps, and such. Plus if he was to get lost, I would get blamed lol...being the map reader and all. I would rather have a non stressful relaxing vacation, and I think this is the best way to go for us as well.
Thanks again.
Wenchie
Old May 13th, 2006, 08:10 PM

"Plus, if he was to get lost, I would get blamed, being the map reader. . ."

LOL--you too, huh? Must be a GUY THING!

It's a no win situation! Ya get yelled at if you drive, and if you just sit over there and try to help)

Thanks for that little bit of humor--goes to prove my theory that we all have way more in common than we do differences. . .