Search

South America 6 week trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South America 6 week trip

Hi everyone,
I'm currently in the beginning stages of planning a 6 or 7 week trip to Chile, Argentina, Uruguay (breifly), and Brazil. I'll be there from late december 2008-mid february 2009. Here is a very rough itinerary, and i'm hoping to get some feedback. I plan to travel primarily by bus.

Arrive in Valparaiso, Chile around Dec 28th in time for New Years celebrations. (stay until jan 2nd)
2-3 days in Santiago
3 days in Mendoza, Argentina (including travel there by bus)
a few days in cordoba
1 week in Buenos Aires
2 days in Colonia, Uruguay
EITHER: Colonia to Iguazu Falls (via montevideo?) OR Colonia to BA to Iguazu
1 day to travel to Iguazu
3-4 days at Iguazu (on both Argentina and Brazil side)
Go to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (where can I stop between Iguazu and Rio to break up the trip?)-allow 3 days for iguazu-rio
1 week in Rio (and possibly side trips to surrounding beaches, etc...any suggestions?)
1 day on Ilha Grande, then return to Rio for a night
Go to Salvador (Should I fly since it's such a long trip, or is it worth it to take the bus up the coast making stops along the way? If I do that, where should I stop?)
4-5 days in Salvador
Fly back to Valparaiso or Santiago

What do you think of this plan? Does it seem realistic for the amount of time I have? Will the bus trips be unbearably long? I'm flexible in terms of number of days in places and where exactly I stop along the way. I'd appreciate suggestions. Also, the reason I'm starting out in Valparaiso is because I'd like to be there for the new year's celebrations. I'll be studying there after this trip for 6 months, so I'll have plenty of time to explore the rest of Chile more thoroughly.
Thanks in advance,
Elena
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 09:40 PM

We just returned from visiting several of the places on your itinerary.The busses we took and saw in Chile are great, comfortable and affordable with reliable schedules. Can't comment on the other countries. We opted to use Brazilian air passes on TAM as their schedules worked best for us.
There are other air passes that include that several of the countries you mentioned. 5 days in Valparaiso and Vigna will leave you with time on your hands. Bus ride to
Santiago is 2 hours with busses leaving every 15 minutes. Pullman and Turbus are good companies and tickets cost $7.50. at the 500:1 exchange rate. Santiago deserves 4-5 days. Lots of great museums, vineyards, parks, etc. Can't comment on Mendoza & Cordoba. 2 days in Colonia are about right. We spent 5 days in BA and that included a day trip to an estancia.
A week is more than adequate. A day in Montevedio is enough, and 3 at Iguassu is perfect. It will allow a day for bad weather. We stayed in town and the falls are about an hour away. Rio is a nice 3 day city unless you plan to spend time on the beach. Don't break up trip to Iguassu in Rio. It's a long drive from the airport (we flew). Can't comment on the bus. We flew to Salvador via Sao Paulo. It's a long ride by bus,but we spoke to a person who said the trip via bus was OK. Spent 3 days there and saw what we planned to see. We had hoped for more, but after visiting the old part of town the market and driving the coastal road we decided to leave. Your trip sounds very doable. I realize that money can be the driving force when it comes to travelling. Good luck
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 03:33 PM

hi, from rio to salvador the bus does not go along coast so you dont get much of a view, its a LONG trip!! and the roads arent in fab condition either. Better to go by plane. You could spend longer on ilha grande, seems crazy to go for day, the first boat leaves really early so you'd be unlikely to catch it and the next will only give you 3 hours or so to see the island before you have to come back. Maybe go to Parati, about 1 hour from angra. Where are you going in salvador ? To a beach area or just the main town ?
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 06:25 AM

cordoba with 2 days you can see it well. Try to see at least a few of the jesuit estancias (alta gracia especially). tour of the sierras de cordoba was a bit disappointing really. cordoba city itself was great, the tour of the downtown given by the city tourist office is excellent.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 08:50 AM

Sort of a related question based on the original posting: We're going to be in Rio beginning either Feb. 19 or 20, 2009 and are planning on staying 4 or 5 nights. We're debating whether or not to include Salvador. Given the timing (Carnival), and the fact that we've never been to Brazil before, do you think it's better to (a) spend five nights in Rio and none in Salvador or (b) four nights in Rio and two in Salvador? Obviously, the second option will be more expensive, because we ultimately need to fly back to Sao Paolo. I'm just trying to determine whether visiting Salvador add enough to justify the extra traveling and cost. Thanks very much.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 02:40 AM

My husband was in Mendoza last December--here is his take on that city
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35095053
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 12:40 PM

If you have already been to Mendoza, you have to come to Salta and the NW of Argentina. The wines, the food and the climate is perfect to enjoy the most varied landscape.
For your next visit to Argentina you still ahve lot to see, and taste.
Warm regards,
Flintstones