First trip to Brazil

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First trip to Brazil

Hi.x..

A friend & I are planning our first trip to Rio & would welcome any ideas for itineraries for a 2 week stay 26Aug-11Sept.

So far on the agenda we've loosley got planned Rio for 4 nights, & then onto Iguassu Falls for a day (should we stay longer?), we'd like to plan in Salvador for nights before heading back to Rio & a trip to Buzios.

Any advise, how to do it, what to see, where to stay, eat would be really appreciated. Many Thanx

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 04:31 PM

I would definately not try to add too much more to the itinerary. You may feel rushed trying to experience Rio, Foz, Salvador and Buzios in the 2 week time period.

Definately reccommend going to the falls. They are amazing. Make sure to see them from both the Brazilian and Argentinian sides. Normally when people fly into Foz they spend the first afternoon visiting the brazilian side, the second day they explore the Argentinian side, which is better. their are more walking paths and you can get a lot closer. brazil side is great for an overview. So I think you will need for than 1 day. It all depends how and what time of day you will arrive.

In Rio, there is too much to see and explain. The can't miss things are of course the Staute of Christ, Relaxing or walking on Ipanema beach or boardwalk, and Sugarloaf. Other not to miss things are visiting downtown museums, fairs (Uruguaina) and enjoy the buildings. The Santa Teresa area Lapa, Tijuca Forest, etc....(contact me if you want more specific details)

Salvador is great, as long as you give it a decent chance. I think you need a minimum of 3 days. Anything less will leave a sour taste in your mouth. The city has a very strong Afro-Brazilian Culture, with many beautiful churches.

Buzios, is a chic resort area and keep in mind that September 7th is a holiday and it should be busy there.

The bus to Foz is an option but it will take around 24 hours. Flying is worth bc of limited time. A Bus to Salvador will be a little longer 26 hours. A good stop along the way is Porto Seguro. (If you decide to bus to Salvador, I would skip Buzios and spend the days in Porto Seguro and then continue on to Salvador, and maybe return back to Rio by plane.)

Whatever you choose, you should have a great time. Brazil is a wonderful country.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Hi Scott
Thanks for your advise regarding my upcoming to trip to Rio.
I think your right, we wouldn;t be able to give Salvador it's credit with a longer stay, it is quite a distance away. Relaxation is a big must on the agenda to be honest. But we both have an adenturous streak!! The danger is we try to fit too much in!! Would a more realistic itinerary be something like Rio, Iguassu, Buzios, Paraty?
Many Thanks
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 02:04 PM

I think you will have plenty to see and not over do it if you stick to Rio, Foz, Buzios and Parati.

I would say maybe 2 nights/3 days in Buzios and the same for Ilha Grande, should be plenty. 2 days in Foz, and the rest in Rio.

In Buzios you can relax on the beach if you want, rent a dune buggy for the day and spin the wheels exploring the beaches, or even spend a day golfing.

In Ilha Grande, relax on the beach, visit some of the many remote islands, set off on adventure hikes, rent bikes, etc..

And then Rio....... you can do whatever you choose. It has everything for everybody.

Happy Planning
Scott
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

Many Thanks Scott, here's our itinerary.. It keeps changing!!
Rio 5nites / Iguazu 2nites / Buzios 3nites / Ilha Granda 2nites / Rio 2 nites Any links for info you could offer would be appreciated..
particularly around Iguazu - Apart from the Sheraton, is there anywhere you could recommend close to the centre?