Notices

South America

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 12:31 AM
Cindy

South America

Hi,

I'll be accompanying my fiance to Rio for his conference this Oct. I'm a Singaporean and since i'll be flying from Singapore all the way to Rio, I'd like to do some travelling in other parts of South America. I have about 2 weeks (of which 5 days in Rio.) Any suggestions?

cindy

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 07:00 AM
maria

Consider Buenos Aires and especially the South of Argentina. The landscapes there are overwhelming. Buenos Aires is a three hours flight from Rio.

Enjoy, and Singapur is in my "to visit soon" list, along with Malasia and Thailand.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Karenina

I would highly recommend Peru! Machu Picchu is absolutely breathtaking and the Amazon Basin near Iquitos is amazing!! Lima is also very interesting, but if you do not speak Spanish and are travelling alone, I would recommend a guide or group tour.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 10:38 AM
liz gannon

Hi,
I am an American living in Sao Paulo, married to a Brazilian. One option would be to rent a car and drive down the cost from Rio, visiting Parati, a historical city, where I recommend the Santa Clara hotel just outside the city, new and gorgeous in front of the ocean. Then you could continue on to Ilhabela, an island about a 15 minute ferry ride away from the mainland in Sao Sebastiao, about 2 hours south of Parati. Stay at the romantic Maison Joly, each room with a hot tub or other special feature. Then continue on to Juquehy and stay at the Juquehy Praia Hotel. About another hour south of Sao Sebastiao. From there return to Sao Paulo and fly home. If you want to plant in one location after Rio, try the new Txai resort in Bahia. It was just opened this year, couples only, a 90 min. flight from Rio. Just fab, visit the website, www.txairesort.com.br. In the middle of totally virgin cocao plantations on a gorgeous deserted beach with wonderful Brazilian cuisine. Just about 20 bungalows in front of the ocean. We also love Buenos Aires, recommend the Sheraton or the Marriott Plaza Hotel. That is good for about 3 days. Peru and other spots mentioned are a big trek, depends how much time you want to spend on planes after coming from Singapore!

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 12:41 PM
diana

Hi, Liz,
My husband and I have been to Brazil five times. However, the last trip was more than 10 years ago, and our basic conversational Portuguese has basically drained from our brains in the meantime. We've been to Rio, Manaus, Iguacu, Ouro Preto, Bahia.
How would we manage without much Portuguese at the Txai resort or in Buzios? Also, I've read that there's a nice resort on an island near Bahia at a place called, if I remember correctly, Commandatuba. Does that ring a bell?
We're thinking of going back for the sixth time and want to hit some new spots.

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to the Txai resort in a few days on the recommendation of friends in Brazil... from Rio it will require a connection in Salvador. It's very expensive for Brazil, but I've heard it is amazing. Will let you know when we get back.