Snorkeling off shore? Where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in the very early stages of planning a 2 weeks trip to Belize in 2012. We originally thought February, but might do it in April, to be able to see the whale sharks.
We are planning 4 nights a jungle lodge, 2 nights Tikal, 4 nights Ambergris Caye and 4 nights somewhere else, where we can snorkel off shore. Where can we find this place?

We are not looking for camping, and would like some basic comfort: running water and electricity, a place where we don’t need to bring our own sheets, where we don’t need to cook our food, etc.

Isla Marisol on Glover looks like a good option, and they organize the whale shark trips. Also, Pelican Beach on South Water Caye. Any other place that offers snorkeling off the beach in that area?
Thanks
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 10:05 AM

Tranquility Bay Resort was my top find on Ambergris. Glover's of course, limited lodging there.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

bbp,
Is there any snorkeling off the shore from anywhere in Placencia? At this time, this is our first priority. The whale sharks might be a bonus, and we will shedule our trip around their schedule.
But again, we need a place where we can snorkle off the beach.
Thanks
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

bbp,
One more thing - while your intentions might be good, I noticed you just registered, answered 3 different questions regarding travelling to Belize, Morocco and Maui, and for each of them you promoted the travelwizard web site.
Not exactly what I was looking for...thanks.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 01:44 PM

x, I'm going to bookmark this because I'm interested in snorkeling too. Good luck finding your dream spot.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

VG, no problem , tag along. I followed your posts, too 
I don’t think I’m looking for my dream spot, but for a spot that meets certain requirements in a certain geographic area. This is more than a year away, and I am getting very excited already…
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 03:53 PM

I don't think there's much snorkeling from shore from South Water, just a bit and easy access by boat since the reef is close. Shore snorkeling from Glover's is incredible and the diving superb. If you can afford an atoll, go for it.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

hopefulist,
Any atol will have snorkeling off shore?
I think I read Bleize has 3: Glover's, Lighthouse, and Turneffe. Are these locations the ones you are talking about?
Thanks
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 04:55 PM

Are you afraid of boats? Not sure why you must have shore access.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 04:58 PM

Our experience, staying in Ambergris Caye, was that the best snorkeling needed to be reached by boat.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 05:02 PM

sitec-er - I can't answer for xyz, but personally I don't want to have to pay for a boat and a tour every time I want to go snorkeling over a 6 night period. I would rather use that $ to pay for lodging where I can head from my hotel to the beach and snorkel at my leisure.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

SiteC, I’m not afraid of boats, and we are planning on doing that during the 4 days in Ambergris Caye.
But for the last days in Belize, I would like to be able to go snorkel anytime I want. For how long I want. Not based on a boat schedule. Maybe ½ hour only…or longer. And do that by myself if DH doesn’t feel like snorkeling, or the other way around…you get the picture.
Also, hip’s reason is valid, too.

Virginia, I am aware of the need for boat tours in Ambergris. My question now is for a different location, where we can spend the last days of our trip (after Ambergris) where we can snorkel off beach. If such a place does not exist inBelize, that would be fine…I will survive. But some people seem to think that several resorts offer it, I am just having a hard time getting actual info and details.
Thanks
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 05:52 AM

Your best choices for combining walk in snorkeling and whale sharks would be Isla Marisol on Glovers and either Pelican on SWC or Blue Marlin on SWC, who have a dive shop and offer whale shark dives. Whale sharks congregate off the Placencia coast March-July, best months are April-May, within 3 days of the full moon and up to 10 days after the full moon.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 06:06 AM

If you don't mind rustic, look at Tobacco Caye. Pretty decent walk in snorkeling, or you can take a boat for other snorkel spots, including Southwater Caye.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 10:07 AM

I agree about wonderfulness (I'm pretty sure that's a word) of snorkeling from shore. When I'm on Glover's or the north shore of Guanaja or parts of Roatán and Utila I'm wet more than I'm dry during daylight hours.

xyz - My only atoll experience is with Glover's but I've read about places with good shore snorkeling on the northern atolls, also; they're too far for the whalesharks in Gladden Split, though. Keep us posted!
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 11:54 AM

Snorkeling from shore is great; we've done it in Hawaii and St. John. I like the ease of it all.

Can you snorkel with the whale sharks, or is that strictly for SCUBA divers?
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Isla Marisol is wonderful and a high contender. Not sure if we will plan the trip around the whale sharks or not, but we’ll see about that. As I said earlier, snorkeling off shore is the main priority.

Another place that looks nice is Turneffe Island Lodge (Resort). Does anyone know if snorkeling off shore is possible there? Although, the place seems to cater more to divers and we only snorkel. Would that be a good fit for us?

Jean, I’ll look into Tobacco Caye, too.
VG, I think you can snorkel (not only dive) with the whale sharks. But just in case, we might get scuba certified before the trip
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 09:15 AM

I can't wait to hear all about it!