Reload this Page >

Belize - Luxury - Does it exist?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 09:44 AM
Don

Was hoping soemone could sugesst a few ideas for a nice resort in Belize. What we are looking for is a resort that is ocean front with a decent beach, and snorkeling right there. The room must be oceanfront, and have a/c. We would really like a place that also has a pool, and maybe a bar/restaurant on site, with others nearby. Does this place I've described exist? Please help...

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:21 PM
katie

There is very little snorkeling from shore in Belize from a luxury hotel. Most of the snorkeling from shore is found on one of the smaller, remote cayes, and I do not know of any luxury lodging on any of them. (You might try posting this on the Latin America board too). However, there are several lovely, small hotels/resorts that are oceanfront with many amenities (not exactly luxury liike the Ritz, but certainly high-end). Victoria House on Ambergris Caye comes to mind, as do Roberts Grove and Turtle Inn in Placencia (Turtle Inn is re-opening in Dec - new owner is Francis Ford Coppola). All have A/C and are oceanfront. Robert's Grove has a pool. Not sure about pools at the others but all have websites too that you could check. All have onsite bars/restaurants and other nearby dining options. Ambergris Caye has a reef that is about .5 miles offshore or a 10-minute boat ride. The reef is a bit further from Placencia.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:25 PM
Kat

Definitely Cayo Espanto.<BR><BR>http://cayoespanto.com/index.html

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 03:52 AM
Don

Thankyou for the replies, has anyone heard of Banyan Bay? Thoughts on this resort in regard to what I'm trying to find? Cayo Espanto sounds/looks amazing, but out of my league price wise. Maybe "luxury" was the wrong choice of words. Upscale might be better. Thanks again for any & all help.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 06:07 AM
katie

Banyan Bay is lovely, and meets all the criteria you asked about except the snorkeling, which is a 10-minute boat ride away. (You could snorkel from the beach - plenty of fish but not coral). The resort is a condo-resort, so all the units have full kitchens. It is up the beach from Victoria House, south of San Pedro town, where there are lots of restaurants. It is on one of the nicest beaches on Ambergris Caye ("nice" is a relative term - do not expect beaches like Anguilla or Cancun/Mayan Riviera). We've never stayed there but have eaten there and heard great things about it.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 06:09 AM
katie

One more thing - lots of info on www.ambergriscaye.com - Message board there too.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Don

Thankyou Katie....Much appreciated!!