Snorkeling

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Cathy

Snorkeling

I've read some info about using a kayak to get to and snorkel the reef at Ambergris Caye. Sounds like there are plenty of buoys to tie your kayak to, but I do wonder how in the world you get back into a kayak out there. Do the buoys have something that a person can stand on to get back into a kayak? We are experienced kayakers and to get back into ours from deep water is not an easy manuveur, requiring paddle floats, alot of work, and a bailing bucket.<BR><BR>Can anyone tell me if this is a viable alternative to doing the boat trips out to the reef? We are not particularly fond of being on a schedule and would like the option of getting out there when we want to, with a kayak rental.<BR>

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 04:55 AM
Katie Valk

I tie the rope from the kayak to my foot and pull it around while I snorkel and no, the buoys don't have a base to step back into the kayaks-it's the simple kick with your flippers on and pull yourself back in.<BR><BR>Katie Valk<BR>Belize

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Cathy

So, I assume the rental kayaks are sealed hull and can't fill up with water? They must be sit-upon kayaks?

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 01:53 PM
TC

I have no idea where you would get to a reef in a kayak near Ambergris Caye. When we were there last winter, all the snorkeling was outside the barrier reef. To get outside that barrier was a huge undertaking in a large boat with an enormous motor...and even then I wasn't sure we'd make it. The timing to get through the cut in the barrier reef had to be just right our you're dashed on the coral. Do you know someone who's actually done this kayaking? Maybe I missed something, but inside the barrier reef was mostly sea grass and muck. Not much to see. I suggest more investigation.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Patty

Yes, there is definitely snorkeling inside the reef. We snorkeled inside the reef at the marine preserve. The scuba diving is done outside of the reef (I've even seen divers inside the reef although they look kinda silly with all that gear in 20 feet of water). I am not 100% positive but I think the kayaks are the idiot proof sit-on-top kind. Hope this helps.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Sam

Just FYI, I just got this info from Portofino (north end) re snorkeling with kayaks:<BR>"At this time, we have 2 sea kayaks...they are for our guests' complimentary use, and you may use them to kayak NEAR the reef. We are very close to the famous snorkel site of Mexico Rocks, and our guests use our surf boards to paddle out and snorkle there. The kayaks are very difficult to use for snorkeling because it is hard to get back in to them from the water without sinking them! We have performed many rescues already! As for going to the reef...the currents can be unpredictable and strong (depending on the tides) and so we don't recommend that you get right to the reef, but you can get very close. For snorkeling there, there aren't any buoys to tie the boards off on, so again, your best bet is Mexico rocks, or right off our pier or beach....."

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Sam

Just FYI, I just got this info from Portofino (north end) re snorkeling with kayaks:<BR>"At this time, we have 2 sea kayaks...they are for our guests' complimentary use, and you may use them to kayak NEAR the reef. We are very close to the famous snorkel site of Mexico Rocks, and our guests use our surf boards to paddle out and snorkle there. The kayaks are very difficult to use for snorkeling because it is hard to get back in to them from the water without sinking them! We have performed many rescues already! As for going to the reef...the currents can be unpredictable and strong (depending on the tides) and so we don't recommend that you get right to the reef, but you can get very close. For snorkeling there, there aren't any buoys to tie the boards off on, so again, your best bet is Mexico rocks, or right off our pier or beach....."

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 08:39 AM
sam