Search

Snakes alive in the Osa!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snakes alive in the Osa!!!!

Just got back from the most incredible trip to Costa Rica. Three families went-total of 8 children. We saw so much and yes we saw lots of cool snakes including a way too close encounter with a Fer de Lance Viper. My seven year old son almost stepped on him and we were extremely lucky that he was looking down and said "there's a snake". The snake was in a bad mood and it took us a while to get him off the trail-this happened in Corcovado Nat. Park. Of course we took photos and the kids were out of their minds with excitement. We saw anteaters,sloths ,all four primates, birds, coatis etc. Also stayed in Manual Antonio. We went through Gaialink tours and they were awesome.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 06:21 PM

Sounds like you had a great trip! Although, all those snakes would have probably freaked me out a bit. I'm a bit of a snake-a-phobe. I don't mind them unless they surprise me. What did you think of Manuel Antonio? Where did you stay there?
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 07:36 PM

kock3 Where did you stay in the Osa and how did you like it?
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 09:10 PM

I'm planning a trip with my 6 & 11 year old and was afraid there might not be much for younger kids to do. Sounds like you all found plenty of things to do. Please give me some ideas (we're looking at going to Drake Bay & Manual Antonio).

Thanks!
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 07:57 AM
JBX

Glad your family had a great trip. And your son was extemely fortunate that he didn't have a closer encounter w/snake; Fer de Lances are one of the deadlier types to be found in CR.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

As for questions, we stayed at La Paloma Lodge in Drake Bay area for 4 nights and it was fantastic. They bent over backwards to accomodate our group. Yes-we have adventurous kids but they loved it (8 kids--ages 6-12). Every day is a different experience. Corcovado is the most amazing. We went snorkeling at Canos island-saw great stuff. We all went hiking in Corcovado-including longer trip to La Sirena (did not take kids on that hike). Kids went horseback riding and did Canopy tour.

In Manuel Antonio, we stayed at Tulemar Bungalos-great place for families-beach ,pools and many animals. We did mangrove tour to Damas and several other hikes.

In San Jose, we stayed at Vista De Valle-also really nice and great for families. We were in Costa Rica from June 17th through the 29th-its an amazing adventure.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 08:25 PM

kock 03, Please let me know what kind of room you had at La Paloma. We are thinking of staying there in three weeks. What was the food like? Is there a specific room that is better. Thanks a lot.How strenuous was the hike in Corcovado. Did you do a dolphin swim?