Single girl traveling/Cheap Sleeps

May 20th, 2003, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Single girl traveling/Cheap Sleeps

I'll be traveling in Belize the last week of May, first week of June. Unfortunately the boyfriend opted out so I'm going alone. This threw budget into a tailspin. I'm looking for a SAFE, cheap sleep my first night in Belize City and any other safe/cheap sleep anyone can recommend in the country. My itinerary is day by day. I want to snorkel, horseback ride and am looking to save $$ on accomodations which will afford me to be able to do all the 'extras'. ANY info offered is appreciated! Also, any cheap recommendations getting from the airport into Belize City. Thanks!
May 20th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Also, want to spend time on Cayes! Cheap sleeps anyone?! Thanks!
May 21st, 2003, 07:42 AM

Couple of general comments first:

For budget accommodations and to do what you want to do, you probably will be better off splitting your time betweemn Caye Caulker and Cayo (the San Ignacio area and western Belize).

Unless you arrive late in the day, try to move on from Belize City rather than staying overnight.

Safe, budget lodging in Cayo:

In and near San Ignacio: Aguada Hotel, Martha's Guesthouse, both under US$30

Lodge: Roaring River Lodge, around US$50

On Caye Caulker:

Most anywhere -- you can just show up and look around for a room that suits you. Some quality suggestions in the under US$50 range: Trends Beachfront, Treetops, Shirley's, Da Real Macaw, Costa Maya ... and also (less $, though some rooms are small and hot) Tom's, Tropical Paradise, Mara's.

Cheapest way to get into Belize City is to walk about a mile to the Northern Highway and catch a bus into town (less than a buck). Cheapest way to Caye Caulker after getting into town is going by water taxi (US$9 one-way).

--Lan Sluder

May 21st, 2003, 07:44 AM

If you do stay in Belize City, I'd suggest spending a bit more for a nice place rather than a cheapie. Colton House and Villa Boscardi are excellent, safe and around US$60, and Villa Boscardi includes airport transport and breakfast.

--Lan Sluder
May 21st, 2003, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Lan, Thank you so much for your recommendations. I will be arriving a little after noon. But will have been up and traveling for 7 hours already so I thought it might be best to stay in town first day and get my bearings. My budget accomodations are preferrably along the route of hostel/backpacker purse strings. I would rather save $5-$10 on accomodations and spend it at a restaurant or give back to the locals. Caye Caulker is definitely a stop on my route as well as western Belize. Any suggestions (anyone) as far as a girl/woman traveling alone in this country? Thanks!
May 22nd, 2003, 05:48 AM

I travel all over, many times on my own in remote areas, and feel a high degree of personal safety. Belize is a matriarchal society (by default) and you'll find women out and about in all sectors of life and commerce. People are generally friendly and talkative and if you feel uncomfortable with the too talkative type, just move on. I'm sure you'll quickly find other travlers to share trips with.
May 22nd, 2003, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Katie for the advice. I have traveled extensively through Europe a few times and am an out going person, however I always pay attention to my surroundings and such. I know this is going to sound extremely conceited and pretentious (which I am not) but I am blonde and sometimes it draws attention, that's why I ask how traveling solo is. Any other info or tips you could provide will be much appreciated. I arrive this Sunday. Thanks!