Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Should I go somewhere besides Cancun this time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2000, 02:57 PM
TiGuy

Sitting here today, and have decided it's time to plan a short summer trip; I have to have some sort of vacation planned at all times, just to have something to look forward to, to get me thru the day/week/month. <BR> <BR>My criteria, is a tropical/beach type trip, easy to get to, and not too expensive. I plan on going around June 30th and return on July 4th. Ive been to the Bahamas once, and to Cancun twice. I didn't like Nassau nearly as much as Cancun, and think i prefer a Mexican destination over a British Island destination. Not interested in Jamaica. <BR> <BR>Basically what I want to ask is, should I go back to Cancun, or is there another place you would reccomend? My travel companion and I are not very interested in the LATE night life, but do like eating nice meals 1 or 2 of the nights we are there, on the other hand, we like to be somewhat adventurous at times, eating at small cafes/bars, like on Isla Mujeres. I love lounging on Playa Norte on Isla Mujeres, drinking cold beer, getting a tan and people watching. I've even thought about staying out on the island, but am somewhat unsure of that. How is Playa del Carmen? What kind of feel does it have? I know in Cancun, you really don't even feel like you've left the country most of the time; which I really don't like. <BR> <BR>Oh well, Ive rambled, any suggestions?

Old May 4th, 2000, 03:08 PM
d motl

<BR>I don't understand why you just don't go to Isla M. It meets all your wants. We would sure recommend over Playa DC. We have a 15 page travel document on IM that we can forward if you like Dan & Ginny

Old May 4th, 2000, 04:09 PM
Susan

I've stayed on Isla Mujeres and really enjoy it, but I also enjoy Playa del Carmen. It's true that it's getting a lot more touristy - we were there in March after not having seen it for 2 or 3 years and it's a lot more developed, but it's still fun. It feels more European to me - maybe it's because the place is filled with Italians. Lots of Italian restaurants and cappuccino bars. So it depends on what you want. There's loads of info on both places in this forum. I am not keen on big resort type hotels, but there's lots of small places in Playa del Carmen. Also some nice little places on Isla Mujeres. Guess I'm not much help! I like them both. <BR>

Old May 4th, 2000, 08:37 PM
LIZ

We love Play Del Carmen, but it IS getting very built up....But not there yet....Checkout LOCOGRINGOS.COM for info...

Old May 5th, 2000, 03:52 AM
LIZ

Correction! Make that LOCOGRINGO.COM

Old May 5th, 2000, 10:25 AM
Carole

Sound like Playa del Carmen would be the place for you. A little too crowded for me, but very beautiful and there is good nightlife.

Old May 5th, 2000, 04:39 PM
Trevor

Try Barra de Navidad on the west coast. Small town near Manzanillo. It will feel like you left home.

Old May 5th, 2000, 08:28 PM
Dennis

<BR>Good for you Trevor! I knew that there was someone else in the world who knew about Barra De Navidad. Its a well kept secret and one of my favorite places. Quiet, laid back, nice folks, and no urgency. Great Site: http://www.eden.com/~tomzap/bar-cmt1.html <BR>I really hope that not too many people discover this well kept secret. Dennis

Old May 6th, 2000, 10:10 AM
elena garza

Hola! <BR>I think that you are ready to travel to the Pacific Ocean! Puerto Vallarta is the place for you. I also know Cancun, but prefer the quaint lifestyles of my fellow residents of Puerto Vallarta. We are more authentic, native to the region and very proud to represent the state of Jalisco which is internationally recognized as being the real Mexico. I would like for you to visit and then decide. Write to me directly and I will be happy to expand on the subject. <BR>Gracias, <BR>Elena Garza <BR>

Old May 7th, 2000, 08:08 AM
mexicodan

Bahia de Tenacatita is great. Check out Villa Montana at www.choice1.com/villamontana.htm <BR> <BR>adios!

Old May 7th, 2000, 12:12 PM
Lola

My husband and I visited Cancun.Were not impressed really - is like Myrtle Beach, SC!! The last day we were there we took a ferry over to Isla Mujeres and vowed we would be back. We go back every year at least one time and stay for a week or two.Recommend the Nabalam to stay at.Very quint and quiet but close enough to town, etc.Thinking of staying at the new Rolandis on the other end of the island but for some reason the Nabalam keeps beckoning us back. We like to walk to town, rent a golf cart, go snorkeling, etc. and the island is restful and the perfect place for a little R & R. We recommend it highly!!

Old May 9th, 2000, 09:12 PM
Paciano Diaz

TiGuy: For something different that is still tropical/beach type, look up Zihuatanejo, Huatulco and Manzanillo on the Western Coast. Veracruz region on the East.