Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Should I be scared of TROPICAL STORMS???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 06:23 AM
Nancy

OK so I booked a trip to cancun for early <BR>Sept..is it so horrible??? Why must everyone freak my out about tropical storms? I dont mind a little rain but downpour for 5 days would probably get a little old. PLEASE <BR>write about your trips to the coast during this time !!!!!! Any pleasent stories would be much appreciated !!!--- t. nance

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 08:34 AM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Nancy - somewhere else on this forum, someone posted a website for international weather info for past years that would enable travelers to help forecast the weather where they wanted to go. I regret I didn't make note of the address, but perhaps you could search and find it. We have been in Cancun the latter part of Sept. and had beautiful weather. Also in Oct. with nice weather too. Good luck and have a wonderful trip.

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 09:59 AM
JoAnn

Try the Weather Channel website @ www.weather.com or the Washington Post site @ www.weatherpost.com/navpages/ go to travel,& then look for weather-historical. Hurricane season goes from June thru November--and remember it's a big body of water out there, so it's a gamble on where it will hit...or not hit.

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 10:13 AM
Louis

No, you do need not be scared of tropical storms. HOWEVER YOU NEED TO EVACUATE AND BE SCARED OF HURRICANES. Tropical depressions move rapidly and the rains last only a few hours. Just keep clear of palms and coconuts. <BR> <BR>Hurricanes are tracked for days and you get enough advanced warning to move out to high ground or leave. It such a threat exists a lot of people fail to heed the warnings and make the mistake of sticking it out. There will be several hurricanes this year and Sepember is the peak of the season however there is no way to know where they will hit for certain. You can check to see the conditions a few days before you leave to see if there is any likely threat. Cancun was only hit badly once in that last 20 years are so. Last year it was the area around Puerto Rico in the Caribbean that suffered the worse damage. For many years we went to the Caribbean in July and August and have only lost about 4 days due to rain.

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 02:39 PM
Lynn

Went to Cancun/Cozumel 9/16/98 thru 9/23/99 and had absolutely perfect weather. Every day was sunny and gorgeous, and the heat wasn't nearly as unbearable as August. Planning a trip to Cancun for the same week this year. Keeping my fingers crossed that the weather will be just as beautiful.

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 02:40 PM
Lynn

Went to Cancun/Cozumel 9/16/98 thru 9/23/98 and had absolutely perfect weather. Every day was sunny and gorgeous, and the heat wasn't nearly as unbearable as August. Planning a trip to Cancun for the same week this year. Keeping my fingers crossed that the weather will be just as beautiful.