Search

1st time in Mazatlan ......

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 1999, 04:36 PM
Mark

1st time in Mazatlan ......

Help!! <BR>We need advice on this resort town. My wife and I went to Zihuatanejo last year and just had a wonderful relaxing time lounging around on the hammocks and on the layed back beaches (Playa Ropa & Playa Gotas)drinking our 80 cent cervesas and just being waited on hand & foot by the wonderful local staff. Does Mazatlan have anywhere near the culture of this other town or in your opinion is Mazatlan a town which we can experience something like this again? Any recommendations on nice (but not pricy)Mexican hotels or resturants? We leave in December, but not completely convinced this is the correct destination to go to. Any input will be greatly appreciated!! <BR> <BR>Mucho Gracias....

Old Aug 17th, 1999, 07:44 AM
Maz

Mazatlan is an entirely different animal. We spend a lot of time there as we have a lof of family that lives in or near Mazatlan. We also lived not too far from there a few years back. <BR> <BR>Mazatlan is a large city ( 850,000 ) that is very congested. The beaches are not very good. In fact I would never go there if we did not have family in that area. It is more of a party town for the tourists. In my opinion Mazatlan has only two things that I would recommend. First, the people who are in general very friendly and hospitable. Second is the Panama restaurant/bakery which has excellent, food ( all kinds ), great service, and is very reasonable. It is not your typical tourist place.

Old Aug 17th, 1999, 10:18 AM
Peggy

Mark, <BR>My honest advice is to find another vacation destination. I have been to both; Zih just last October at Villa Del Sol on La Ropa beach, & there is NO comparison. Cabo used to be like Zih many years ago before the cruise ships. <BR>Look into Buena Vista or Las Barilles on the east Cape of Baja; more arrid than Zih but laid back & quiet. Or some of the smaller towns north & south of Puerto Vallarta.

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 07:09 PM
amanda

hi! i have never been to mazatlan but i have been to zihuatanejo and really liked it also...we were contemplating mazatlan, but maybe not based on the above advice. if you go to mazatlan, could you let me know what you think when you get back? please?

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 08:27 PM
Mark

Amanada, <BR>Thanks for the advise! After reading other's experiences and advise on Matazalan, I believe we will probably be headed to the Carribean coast (PDC to Akumal). We really love the beautiful white sand beaches along this other coast and have begun looking for accomodations. Any advice from anyone would be more than appreciated! <BR> <BR>Gracias... <BR>Mark