Search

September/ October Weather

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
September/ October Weather

I am traveling to Costa Rica the last week of September. I really want to go to the Corcovado area but I am concerned about the fact that it is rainy season.

Has anyone been to Costa Rica during this time of year? How bad is the rain? Will I be able to go outside?

Alternative suggestions would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 06:39 AM

Hi Chris,
The Osa Peninsula is a fabulous place to visit. There are many on this board who know the area far better than I, but I can pass along what Phillip, one of the guides at Bosque del Cabo told me last July. He said that there is so much rain during Sept. and October that many resorts/ecolodges close for a month or two. He also said that, at times, much of the BdC property is literally underwater--or too saturated to enjoy a stay there.

Guanacaste is one of the drier areas of Costa Rica; it is in the northwest and has some lovely beaches. The Rincon de la Vieja Parque Nacional area would give you a very nice area to hike and explore. Arenal would be a good bet as well. My suggestion would be to save Corcovado for a time when it might be more enjoyable (and easier) to be there. Costa Rica is blessed with abundant beauty and SO many places of interest; you could enjoy a week in many places!
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 09:43 AM

October would be a mistake to go to Osa. Some of the hotels even close in October and November due to the volume of rain at that time. I was there in June and it started to rain around 3:00 PM. The staff there told me that in November, it rains all day and night.

At some point, you should get to OSA as it is beautiful.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 11:15 AM

I was wondering if anyone else could comment on the weather/rain in the Osa peninsula in November. I noticed the high season prices kick in most places about Nov. 15. Does the rain taper off in November?

Thanks
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 12:48 PM

It's VERY wet.

This article describes the extrordinary rains of '05 when not only the lodges but even Corcovado was closed.
http://costa-rica-guide.com/travel/i...amp;Itemid=628

Normally by the end of November it does start to dry out but there was over 40 inches of rain in the region that month last year.

On the other hand you can see from the map here
http://costa-rica-guide.com/travel/i...amp;Itemid=701
that it's actually one of the drier months on the Caribbean Coast, and as shillmac notes it's also reasonable in Guanacaste.

Pura Vida
Ray
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 07:02 PM

Osa is bad but Sept and October are very good times to go to Tortuguero and other places on the caribbean side!

Sandy