Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica in mid November - beach possible or too much rain

Old Oct 29th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear All, I'm planning a trip to Costa Rica for some relaxing 'me time' - on the beach, hiking, and taking it easy. I looked through some guide books, and while I understand that different regions in Costa Rica have different weather/climates, I want to be sure that I can spend some time on the beach. If I go in mid November, are there any beaches where I can swim, laze around in a bathing suit? (meaning it won't be too cold). Thanks,
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 06:49 PM

Hi Saira! Check out Puerto Viejo on the Southern Caribbean coast. It is the driest part of the country (or so we have heard). It's 5 hours from SJO by bus to the coast. And only $9 on Mepe, the public bus.

Here's a site about Puerto Viejo: http://www.puertoviejosatellite.com/

Maybe I'm biased...we're headed there TOMORROW until the 9th. From what I've heard, it will rain every morning (per usual) and we'll still get great beach time.

Pura Vida!
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 05:37 AM

It' will not be too cold to laze around in a bathing suit. Even in the middle of the rainy season it's warm. By mid November the northwest coast of Guanacaste and the Nicoya Peninisula have started to dry out and you should have plenty of sunshine all morning and some afternoons.

Angela_Russell - October is one of the driest months on the Caribbean but by November the rains have intensified there so it might not work well for Saira
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 06:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've never been to Costa Rica but am heading back to Mexico in November. I know Puerto Vallarta will have glorious weather, hot & sunny (rainy season is summertime there). If perfect beach weather is really a requirement you might want to pair your destination and your timing differently.
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 09:59 AM

Typically the rainy season ends between mid-November and late December. This year's rainy season has been *very, very, very* dry. It's still rained some and regularly through September and October, but July and August were very dry. And September and October rains well below average. Who knows? November could be freakish, but I bet you're pretty safe anywhere in the country. Especially Guanacaste and Nicoya.

The rap about the Caribbean coast being dry is only for a short period in late September to early/mid-October, when the rest of the country is typically soaked. Otherwise, the Caribbean has unpredictable weather patterns, with rain possible just about any time, including during the "dry season" where you'll never see a drop of rain in most of the rest of the country.
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, everyone! This is helpful. Happy travels!
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 02:21 PM

Guancaste is the best option!!!
Avellanas and Langosta Beach are beautiful and the best to relax and enjoy a "me time" The tempeture right now is around 90F, you will love it.
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks cduran! Now I just need to find a resort there..