Search

Seeking hiking partners for Corcovado in December

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking hiking partners for Corcovado in December

Hello --

I know this is a shot in the dark, but I thought I might as well post it and see what happens.

I have a short guided hike into Costa Rica's Corcovado National Park planned for this December, and I am looking for hiking partners to help share the cost of the guide. The plan is to stay inside the park for two nights at the Sirena ranger station, so the entire adventure will be for three days: one day to hike in, one day to hike the trails around Sirena, and one day to hike out. The dates for the hike are set -- December 10, 11 and 12.

I'm staying the night before (the night of December 9) at the Danta Corcovado Lodge, and the owner of the lodge is arranging the guide for me. We'll head out early the morning of December 10 via horseback for about two hours, which will get us closer to the Los Patos ranger station and the trailhead. From my understanding, the hike into the park will take approximately five to six hours from Los Patos, and the hike out will take approximately seven hours to make it to Carate (give or take).

The entire cost of the guide will be about $330 to $360 -- that includes his/her access to the park, room/board inside the park, horse rental fee, and the guide's daily rate.

The park entrance fees, room/board, and horse rental fee for each hiker will come to approximately $150. If you want to stay at Danta Lodge the night before (which I recommend), that'll be another approximately $40.

For very detailed information about what to expect from the hike, the trails and the park in general, you can check out this excellent, excellent website: http://www.corcovadoguide.com/

I can provide more detail to anyone who might be interested. Please email me at [email protected] if interested.

Thanks!
Robert
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

I want to update this with my new plans in case anyone is interested.

Instead of hiking to Sirena via Los Patos, I have decided to fly to Sirena via a charter flight from Puerto Jimenez. No jokes about chickening out, please!

So, getting to Sirena will take 15 minutes instead of an overnight stay at a lodge, two hours on horseback, and a seven hour hike. I am going to miss the opportunity to stay at Danta Corcovado Lodge though. Maybe another trip.

I will catch the charter flight in PJ at around 1:30 PM on December 9th, Wednesday. The time is somewhat flexible. The flight is expensive -- $365 one way! But, I am hoping to find folks to help split that cost. I believe the plane can accommodate three more people in addition to myself and the guide.

I am still hiking out via Carate on December 11th -- and I am in the process of looking for a guide.

Let me know if interested: [email protected]
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 01:22 PM

Bawk! ;-)
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

I don't see you doing it, missy
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 02:37 PM
RAC

We're in the preliminary stages of planning an overnight in Sirena (more than a year off) and it's very useful to see your thought process and decision-making on this. The price of the plane does seem high, but it seems more reasonable when you talk about saving the cost of a guide for a day plus an overnight. Hmmm.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 03:42 PM

plum you may want to post over at thorntree. Always seems to be someone there asking about Corc and hiking.

Congrats! I think that will be a thrill as well. So how does that alter you whole schedule now?
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

RAC: Yeah, it does seem like a lot, but I think it could be worth it (I'm still trying to convince myself of that one!). I really was looking forward to the adventure aspect of staying overnight at Danta Lodge, riding a horse for a couple hours, and then hiking through primary rainforest for seven or eight hours -- fording rivers and streams, dodging herds of peccaries. But, it started sounded like a bit much for the short time span that I'm going to be there. I'm up for adventure, but I don't want to be so wiped out when I finally make it to Sirena. Plus, let's face it, I don't get to go away all the time. I need a little down time!

tully: Well, now I'll have two nights after the hike instead of one, so that's two nights at El Remanso now (I've downgraded to a classic cabin to save some pennies -- but if I can find people to share the flight, I may just go for La Guinda again). The plan is that I will land at PJ at noon and get on the charter plane at 1:30 or so -- soooo, if all works, I'll be there in a flash. Big rubber boots in hand.

Oh, also, I think I may have already found a guide. I'm emailing back and forth with someone who sounds great -- very knowledgeable and experienced. I'll post that info as soon as I know for sure.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and I have posted over at ThornTree, but I guess when you reply to your own post it doesn't bring it to the top (their clever cure for topping, I guess). I think I'll have to repost. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 08:04 PM

Kristin, that wasn't nice, but it was funny.

You're doing some good planning, plumboy. Hope your latest contact works out for you. The flight in will be fun, too.

We may have gotten stung a bit on the price, but we sure enjoyed our experience. We had a "pre" night and "post" night in Carate at Hotel Finca Exotica for about $90 per person. The actual hiking in and out and stay inside the park (2 nights) was another $300 (or maybe $350) per person.
The entire experience was right at $1000. Another reason that was our first and last. I'm convinced, though, that it can be done for way less (and probably with a guide). So you are doing a great job of figuring all that out for future hikers!
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 04:29 AM
RAC

Another option we're looking at is boating in and out of Sirena from Drake Bay. Has anyone done that?
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

A great contact for the options for getting in and out of the park is Paul Collar. I believe he runs Cafenet el Sol/Sol de Osa in PJ. He's also the one who created the amazing website I mentioned in my original post. He's the guy who you can make your park reservations with 30 days in advance, all over email. He can be reached at [email protected]

Paul told me that chartering a boat from PJ was going to cost $600 one way!!! That's why I opted for the plane. But, he told me you can charter one out of Drake for about $250 per boat or $30 per head (I assume there's a minimum for the $30 price). So, it would be cheaper to start out at Drake. I think the boat in would be a great way to do it -- you might get to see dolphins, turtles & sharks on the way!

The guide I think I've identified charges $100 per day. Not sure if I'm going to be paying for two days or three -- I'll actually only be with him for 48 hours exactly, but maybe they charge for parts of days also? In any case, I think that's a great rate.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 06:52 AM

Wow. you've really been doing your research! the trip is really starting to sneak up on you, isn't it? thanks for sharing all the details - no doubt i would like to do it some day...using a charter sounds like a great plan!
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 09:22 AM
RAC

Apparently, you can do an overnight in Sirena from Drake Bay--with roundtrip boat rides--for $250/person, according to my research (two different sources/operators).
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 09:31 AM

RAC--we ran into several persons who boated in from Drake Bay. It seems to be a popular option. Didn't quiz any as to the cost. Seems as if lots of people chose to do it that way--boat in, hike out or vice versa.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 09:45 AM
RAC

Most places advertise a day trip to Sirena. It took a little digging to figure out what an overnight would cost.

Certainly a lot cheaper than flying in if there are only 1-2 people.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 11:49 AM

I guess I'll jump in her on the Drake Bay thing since it's on my "may do" list for next trip.

From Cabines Las Caletas, where I plan on staying, it's $75/pp for boat ride to San Pedrillo ranger station, park entrance and guide for a day trip.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 02:48 PM

That makes sense; San Pedrillo isn't too far. A lot of the Drake Bay people were coming in to La Sirena, though, and I guess that isn't so thrify an option. I'm not sure what all is included with the boats rides to La Sirena, either. I thought maybe it was just a transportation option and nothing more, but maybe not.

The $75 for the day sounds pretty reasonable, for sure.

RAC, I'd definitely recommend 2 nights at La Sirena. You need the full day for a couple of hikes and also a night hike; really maximizes your time there.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 05:22 PM
RAC

I can try to talk my wife into two nights there, but may have to settle for one (the wife is a skeptic). If we get there early the first morning, we should have the opportunity to spend over 24 hours there, including a night hike.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 07:02 PM

You are right, of course. Key words being if you get there early the first morning. I was just thinking from the perspective of hiking in that first day, arriving just before noon, and having to crash for almost the rest of the day. I think we did manage to get out for a bit of a look about around 3:00 or 4:00 that afternoon. Arriving early by boat or plane would indeed cut down on the time needed to stay there. And you already addressed that, didn't you?!

It isn't for everyone, that's for sure. I do hope your wife will enjoy it, though, as you do get that feel for being in a very special place for a short time. I almost felt cheated that we didn't go deeper into the park, Los Patos, instead of staying right there at the edge at Sirena. But still, it was a WOW experience. Good luck!
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 07:53 AM

Is there an on-line map somewhere that shows the trails and location of the ranger stations in relation to the park?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -