Sea Snakes at PPC?

Jun 13th, 2003, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Sea Snakes at PPC?

I notice a post on this board regarding a problem with sea snakes at Paradisus Playa Conchal beach. Has anyone else experienced this problem? We are planning a trip there in October and I do have a snake phobia, not neurotic but uneasy. The poster made it sound like it is a serious problem. Please comment anyone who has been there.
Jun 13th, 2003, 06:58 PM

It wasn't funny at the time but I can ALMOST laugh about it now.Last February we stayed a bit north of the Playa Conchal at the Guardini Papagayo in a mountain villa overlooking the ocean and didn't encounter any sea snakes.We did, however, have some close calls.One night I went through the kitchen in my bare feet to lock the door leading out to the pool and when I switched on the light I was standing inches from a scorpion....bare feet were no longer an option.On the morning of our last day as I stepped out into the foyer to deposit luggage for pickup I found a 7 foot long Fer-De-Lance snake awaiting me....probably the fastest human retreat ever witnessed by man!! I must say that I was startled by the scorpion but I recovered to wack it with a shoe but,like you,I have a very large fear of snakes and that will remain my strongest memory of Costa Rica.I won't let those encounters stop me from returning to Costa Rica because I'm now aware and will be more alert.....it would have been nice if the staff at the resort had noted that the snakes were commonly found in the mountainous area.Playa Conchal is a wonderful resort so go and enjoy,just be aware of your surroundings and the nature around you.
Jun 13th, 2003, 07:11 PM

Hmmmm......Are these snakes anything like the snowsnakes in Colorado?--They tend to trip up the tourists when they're skiing down the slopes! ....Sorry. Couldn't resist a little kidding.
Jun 14th, 2003, 06:47 PM

The sea snakes you are asking about I believe are more common to Asia and the Pacific island areas than Central and South America. The Fer de Lance snake Charley describes is found in CR and the rest of Central America, although this is the first I have heard about one outside of rural Belieze. Scorpions, of course, are common everywhere from the US southwest on south...
Check your shoes before you put them on in the morning; otherwise, have fun!
Jun 15th, 2003, 03:21 AM

Just returned from Paradisus and the only sea snakes I saw were Speedos that should NOT have been worn!! :0
Lisa S