Reload this Page >

School supplies for Elementary Children in Peru

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 1999, 11:45 AM
Mary

I will be traveling to Peru (Lima, Cuzco, Iquitos) in September '99 and would like to visit some elementary schools while I am there and take the students any school supplies they might need. I’ve heard they need writing pens. Is this correct? Can anyone inform me on what they might? Thank you!

Old Aug 18th, 1999, 07:03 AM
AJ

Mary, good for you! In planning our next two trips, I have recently discovered that travelers frequently take along school supplies for kids in parts of Mexico and Costa Rica also, so will be doing the same. I've also made some contacts with schools, and found that in certain areas, they are delighted to have visitors come in and talk with the children. We will take our three boys with us, and plan to arrange a laptop PC video connection with my boy's school. <BR> <BR>With regard to school supplies, I have heard many people suggest that you make up individual "pouches" using ziplock bags or school boxes. Put in pencils, erasers, markers, pens, cheap calculator, glue bottle, and fun things like glitter, stencils, pipe cleaners, and also some goodies! <BR> <BR>Alternatively, some people fill an old suitcase with school supplies, medical supplies, and small toys and goodies, and find a conduit in the town to distribute it as needed, leaving the suitcase as well. <BR> <BR>I think this is a really nice thing to do. This whole concept of giving something back has prompted my family to have a big dialogue on how to give things back when traveling. I might actually post a separate thread on this. <BR> <BR>Again, good for you!

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 08:38 AM
Cheryl z.

<BR>What a nice idea, ladies! We go to Mexico alot and I've thought of doing this, and now I will. <BR>What about crayons too, and drawing paper?